University of California, Merced, USA
University of California's campuses boast large numbers of distinguished faculty in almost every field and it is widely regarded as one of the top university systems in the world. The University of California, Merced (UCM), is the tenth and newest of the University of California campuses. It is located in the San Joaquin Valley in unincorporated Merced County, California. Established in 2005, UC Merced is the first American research university to be built in the 21st century.
Merced, known as the "Gateway to Yosemite," is less than two hours by automobile from Yosemite National Park to the east and Monterey Bay, the Pacific Ocean, and several beaches to the west. With a population of 80,000 people, it retains the charm of a small town yet offers amenities routinely found in larger cities.
>> Follow this link if you are an incoming student
- Estimated number of mobility places: 20 full-year places or 40 semester places for California's campuses (not per campus)
Available Subject Areas
Please ensure that you research the courses available to you as an exchange student, and check with your subject coordinator(s) that these courses are suitable for your Glasgow degree programme. Please note that partner course offerings may change on a yearly basis.
Please research course level; content and assessment structures; partner academic pre-requisites for exchange students; whether enough courses / credits are available in your degree subject(s) to meet your Glasgow degree credit requirements; language of teaching and for Joint Honours students, whether the partner has any restrictions on taking courses from different Schools/Faculties.
- Accounting & Finance
- Aerospace Engineering/Sciences
- Biomedical Engineering
- Business & Management
- Civil Engineering
- Comparative Literature
- Computing Science
- Digital Media & Information Studies
- Earth Science and Geology
- Economic & Social History
- Electronics/Electrical Engineering
- English Language
- English Literature
- Film & TV
- History of Art
- Life Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
- Politics and International Relations
- Product Design Engineering
- School of Interdisciplinary subjects Dumfries
- Scottish Literature
- Theatre Studies
- Theology & Religious Studies
- University Wide
- Urban Studies/Public & Social Policy
- Application process: this is a very competitive destination and places here are always in high demand
- Grading system
- Credit guidance: typical full course load per semester = 15 (credit range/semester 15-17)
- Course listing
Travel and costs
- University of Glasgow Financial Support
- USA Immigration: protocol states that students applying to a US partner usually in March/April must provide evidence that they have sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in the United States. Full information of the financial sum required will be found on the US partner webpages and on the US Embassy webpages for their home country.
Applying to the University of California (UC)
UC counts as 1 option on your Go Abroad programme application; you can select 2 additional partners.
Note that you should select 3 campuses at UC and include a learning agreement and a budget for each of the 3 in your application. If offered a place, UC will decide which of your 3 options you will be placed at.
California partner campuses
- UC Berkeley
- UC Davis
- UC Irvine
- UC Merced
- UC Riverside
- UC San Diego
- UC Santa Barbara
- UC Santa Cruz
University of California, 5200 Lake Rd, Merced, CA 95340, USA
Partner mobility web