University of Virginia, USA
The University of Virginia in Charlottesville (UVA), frequently referred to simply as Virginia, is a public-private flagship and research university. The University was established in 1819, and its original governing Board of Visitors included Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe. The University is located in Central Virginia just 30 miles east of the Blue Ridge Mountains, in Charlottesville. Charlottesville pairs stunning natural beauty with a lively mix of arts, culture and history. In the span of a single day, you can go horseback riding, dine at a five-star restaurant and catch a concert at one of the many performance venues downtown.
Charlottesville brings together the best of many worlds, offering the liveability and community found in smaller cities with the amenities and cultural attractions of a metropolis.
- Estimated number of mobility places: 1-3 full-year Places or 2-6 semester places
Available Subject Areas
Please ensure that you research the courses available to you as an exchange student, and check with your subject coordinator(s) that these courses are suitable for your Glasgow degree programme. Please note that partner course offerings may change on a yearly basis.
Please research course level; content and assessment structures; partner academic pre-requisites for exchange students; whether enough courses / credits are available in your degree subject(s) to meet your Glasgow degree credit requirements; language of teaching and for Joint Honours students, whether the partner has any restrictions on taking courses from different Schools/Faculties.
- Aerospace Engineering/Sciences
- Biomedical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Comparative Literature
- Computing Science
- Digital Media & Information Studies
- Earth Science and Geology
- Economic & Social History
- Electronics/Electrical Engineering
- English Language
- English Literature
- Film & TV
- History of Art
- Life Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
- Politics and International Relations
- Product Design Engineering
- School of Interdisciplinary subjects Dumfries
- Scottish Literature
- Theatre Studies
- Theology & Religious Studies
- Urban Studies/Public & Social Policy
Key facts UVA
- Politics is only available in Faculty Arts & Science
- Grading system
- Credit guidance: typical full course load per semester = 15 (credit range per semester = 12-17)
Travel and costs
- University of Glasgow Financial Support
- Cost of living
- USA Immigration: protocol states that students applying to a US partner usually in March/April must provide evidence that they have sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in the United States. Full information of the financial sum required will be found on the US partner webpages and on the US Embassy webpages for their home country.