American University, Washington DC
The American University is a private research university with highly ranked schools and colleges. It offers a broad range of courses and their college of Arts and Sciences has more than 100 programmes in the arts, humanities, sciences, social sciences and education.
Washington DC, the country’s capital, is rich in history and has a number of sightseeing opportunities, day trips, excursions and walking or biking tours.
- Estimated number of mobility places: 1-3 full-year or 2-6 semester places
Available Subject Areas
Please ensure that you research the courses available to you as an exchange student, and check with your subject coordinator(s) that these courses are suitable for your Glasgow degree programme. Please note that partner course offerings may change on a yearly basis.
Please research course level; content and assessment structures; partner academic pre-requisites for exchange students; whether enough courses / credits are available in your degree subject(s) to meet your Glasgow degree credit requirements; language of teaching and for Joint Honours students, whether the partner has any restrictions on taking courses from different Schools/Faculties.
- Aerospace Engineering/Sciences
- Biomedical Engineering
- Business & Management
- Civil Engineering
- Comparative Literature
- Computing Science
- Digital Media & Information Studies
- Earth Science and Geology
- Economic & Social History
- Electronics/Electrical Engineering
- English Language
- English Literature
- Film & TV
- History of Art
- Mechanical Engineering
- Politics and International Relations
- Product Design Engineering
- School of Interdisciplinary subjects Dumfries
- Scottish Literature
- Theatre Studies
- Theology & Religious Studies
- Urban Studies/Public & Social Policy
- Grading system
- Entry and application
- Credit guidance: typical full course load per semester = 12
- Accommodation - American University has on-campus accommodation for exchange students
Travel and costs
- University of Glasgow Financial Support
- Cost of Living
- USA Immigration: protocol states that students applying to a US partner (usually in March/April) must provide evidence that they have sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in the United States. Full information of the financial sum required will be found on the US partner webpages and on the US Embassy webpages for their home country.