We have been welcoming students from Ghana since 1926 and currently have an active Alumni Association of Ghana.
In 2000 the President of the Republic of Ghana, His Excellency Flight Lieutenant Jerry John Rawlings, received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from the University during his visit to Britain.
The University of Glasgow also has links with H.R.H. Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, the King of Asanti. The University awarded the King with an honorary Doctor of Laws degree. Furthermore, former Vice-Principal Professor Malcolm McLeod has been asked by the King to help create a new museum at the Palace in Kumasi and visits Ghana regularly.
Glasgow is Scotland’s largest city and is home to the largest student population in Scotland. Glaswegians’ reputation for friendliness means that wherever you come from, it's easy to treat the city as your second home. Glasgow is an official Unesco ‘City of Music’ and also has more parks than any other city in Europe.
The University will consider students who gained all As and Bs in WAEC Senior School Certificate for direct entry into first year. Students who have taken a recognised foundation or access programme or equivalent will also be considered, as well as those students who have studied GCE A Levels or IB. If you do not qualify for direct entry to our undergraduate programmes you may be considered for entry to our pre-entry programmes at Glasgow International College.
We will consider applications to Masters degrees from graduates holding an upper second class honours degree from a national university. In some cases we may consider a lower second class honours degree for entry.
Postgraduate English Language Requirements
The University will waive the requirement to sit an English language test to applicants who meet the following requirements:
- WAEC English at Grade C6 or higher
- Upload an 2019 English Language Test Waiver form completed by their graduating University
- University of Glasgow funding
- University of Glasgow funding
- University of Glasgow/Glasgow International College Achievement Award
- School of Computing Science: International Excellence Awards
- School of Geographical and Earth Sciences: PGT Excellence Awards
- University of Glasgow International Leadership Scholarship
- University of Glasgow African Excellence Fee Waiver
- External funding
Study Abroad and Exchange opportunities at Glasgow
We welcome over 1500 students every year via the long-established Study Abroad and exchange programmes
If you want to come to Glasgow for a year abroad and your country does not have an existing agreement please look at our incoming Study Abroad Programme options
Students who choose to be counselled by an agency should expect the following standards of service:
- Representatives will support students throughout the application process, providing advice and assistance in the preparation/submission of documents. It is, however, the applicant who must remain ultimately responsible for their account and the management of communications.
- Representatives will have full access to student data contained within the application form and may manage a student application by discussing all aspects of the application with the University of Glasgow.
- Representatives should be honest and accurate in communicating information about the University to the student and vice versa. At no time should representatives disseminate false or misleading information to the student or to the University.
- Representatives will conduct themselves with fairness and integrity at all times and are subject to a rigorous selection and ongoing training process by the University of Glasgow.
- Representatives are paid by the University for their services and will not pass on charges to prospective students.
We would be happy to welcome you to our historic main campus in the heart of Glasgow, where we host open days and campus tours for you to experience our University in person. For more information, go to: http://www.gla.ac.uk/about/visit/.
Pamela Armstrong, International Recruitment Manager (based in Glasgow)
+44 (0)141 330 1960
Ajoke Olakunle, International Officer, West Africa (based in Lagos, Nigeria)
+234 (0) 909 895 3402
Adri Hortobagyi, International Recruitment Coordinator (based in Glasgow)
+44 (0)141 330 8764
International Summer School
INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL 2020 - CANCELLED
With the impact globally from the ongoing spread of COVID-19, to protect the health and safety of staff and students we have taken the decision to cancel the 2020 International Summer School.
We fully intend to offer a variety of International Summer School programmes in summer 2021. Our summer 2021 programmes will be advertised from September 2020 so please keep an eye open for further information.
Our International Summer School is an excellent introduction to studying at a world renowned university.
Summer study allows you to:
- Explore a particular topic in more depth
- Experience teaching from world-class academic staff
- Supplement your studies and gain international experience and credits at a world-class university