In 1913 the University welcomed the first Nigeria student to the University to study medicine. Since then thousands more have studied at both undergraduate and postgraduate level in a wide range of subject areas and we currently have around 50 Nigerian students studying at Glasgow. The University also has an International Officer based in Nigeria to provide applicants with information and advice on the University and how to apply.
One of our most notable alumnus is Oladele Adebayo Ajose, who joined the University to study medicine in 1927. Ajose later graduated with an MB ChB in 1932, taking the Diploma in Public Health in 1935 and proceeding to an MD in 1939. He was the founder of the British Red Cross Society in Nigeria (late the Nigerian Red Cross Society) and founded the Infectious Disease Hospital in Lagos. In later life he became Vice Chancellor of Ife University (now Obafemi Awolowo University) in 1961 and retired from there in 1966.
The University will consider students who gained all As and Bs in WAEC Senior School Certificate for direct entry into first year. Students who have taken a recognised foundation or access programme or equivalent will also be considered, as well as those students who have studied GC A Levels.
We will consider applications to Masters degrees from graduates holding an upper second class honours degree from a national university. In some cases we may consider a lower second class honours degree for entry.
Postgraduate English Language Requirements
The University will waive the requirement to sit an English language test to applicants who meet the following requirements:
- WAEC English at Grade C6 or higher
- Upload an English Language Test Waiver form completed by their graduating university
- University of Glasgow funding
- University of Glasgow funding
- College of Science and Engineering Deans' Award
- School of Computing Science: International Excellence Awards
- School of Geographical and Earth Sciences: PGT Excellence Awards
- University of Glasgow International Leadership Scholarship
- University of Glasgow African Excellence Fee Waiver
- University of Glasgow/Glasgow International College Achievement Award
- External funding
Study Abroad and Exchange opportunities at Glasgow
We welcome over 1500 students every year via the long-established Study Abroad and exchange programmes
If you want to come to Glasgow for a year abroad and your country does not have an existing agreement please look at our incoming Study Abroad Programme options
Meet our team in Nigeria
- Location: Lagos, Abuja
- Event: Private visit - sponsors and partners
- Contact: Jo Power
Students who choose to be counselled by an agency should expect the following standards of service:
- Representatives will support students throughout the application process, providing advice and assistance in the preparation/submission of documents. It is, however, the applicant who must remain ultimately responsible for their account and the management of communications.
- Representatives will have full access to student data contained within the application form and may manage a student application by discussing all aspects of the application with the University of Glasgow.
- Representatives should be honest and accurate in communicating information about the University to the student and vice versa. At no time should representatives disseminate false or misleading information to the student or to the University.
- Representatives will conduct themselves with fairness and integrity at all times and are subject to a rigorous selection and ongoing training process by the University of Glasgow.
- Representatives are paid by the University for their services and will not pass on charges to prospective students.
BCIE Abuja Office
BCIE Ikeja Office
BCIE Port Harcourt Office
BCIE Victoria Island Office
14 Muri Okunola Street
Off Ajose Adeogun Street
SI-UK Education Council
UKEAS (Port Harcourt)
UKEAS (Victoria Island)
UKEAS Abuja Office
UKEAS Enugu Office
UKEAS Ibadan Office
UKEAS Ikeja Office
We would be happy to welcome you to our historic main campus in the heart of Glasgow, where we host open days and campus tours for you to experience our University in person. For more information, go to: http://www.gla.ac.uk/about/visit/.
Ajoke Olakunle, International Officer (based in Lagos, Nigeria)
+234 (0) 909 895 3402
Pamela Armstrong, Senior International Officer (based in Glasgow)
+44 (0)141 330 1960
Adri Hortobagyi, International Recruitment Coordinator (based in Glasgow)
+44 (0)141 330 8764
International Summer School
You can also apply to join our International Summer School. This is an excellent introduction to studying at a world renowned university. The summer school offers a variety of credit and non credit-bearing courses including Mathematics and Physics, Theatre and Performance and International Business. The International Summer School website details all courses on offer.
Summer study allows you to:
- Explore a particular topic in more depth
- Experience teaching from world-class academic staff
- Supplement your studies and gain international experience and credits at a world-class university
To attend the International Summer School for most courses, but not all, you must meet the following criteria:
- You should be a current student or a graduate of an international higher education institution*.
- If your first language is not English, we require a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (or equivalent)
- You should have a GPA of at least 3.0 (or equivalent)
Special circumstances may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please refer to individual course descriptions for courses that vary from the standard criteria.
- Applications for 2019 are currently open