Students in the Fraser Building

Frequently Asked Questions

We're delighted that you are considering Glasgow. We've compiled some answers to help you with questions that you may have.

Please note that the information on this page is for full-time non-EU international students only. EU students should visit our EU webpages for more information. If you are coming to Glasgow as part of a Study Abroad, Exchange or Summer School programme, please go to our Visiting Student pages.

Our International Student Support webpages contain further advice to help you both before and after your arrival in Glasgow.


Considering Glasgow

What subjects do you offer?

Follow the links below for a complete list of the subjects we offer:

Can I study online?

We offer a selection of online Masters programmes. We do not currently offer foundation, undergraduate, pre-masters or PhD programmes online.

What is the Undergraduate/Bachelors degree structure?

All Scottish undergraduate degrees at 4 years in length. Follow the links for information on choosing your degree and our degree structure.

Do you offer Foundation programmes or Pre-Masters programmes?

Yes, details on our Foundation and Pre-Masters programmes.

Do you offer pre-sessional English Language programmes?

We offer a range of pre-sessional programmes, the length of the programme depends on your ability. 

Do you accept transfer students?

Postgraduate: we do not accept transfer students onto postgraduate programmes.


The University can consider transfer applications from international students for the programmes listed on our Advanced Entry webpage.

If applying for a transfer to the University of Glasgow or admit to a degree programme with advanced standing you should clearly state the year of entry on your application i.e. 2nd or 3rd year.  Transfers to the final year are not possible. Your papers will be referred to the relevant School along with your UCAS application for a decision and we will let you have this decision as soon as possible through online UCAS track. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis so please make an application so Admissions can see your complete academic history.

All transfer applications must be made through UCAS at

I’m a UK citizen who lives abroad. Will I be considered an international student?

Tuition fee status is determined by nationality and country of ordinary residence. Students must have been ordinarily resident in the UK for three full consecutive years prior to the start of study. Ordinary residence is described as 'a regular, habitual mode of life in a particular place, the continuity of which has persisted despite temporary absences'. 

If you have been living outside the UK for three years then it is likely that you would need to pay the international fee. Substantive evidence of relevant connection and temporary employment will be requested by the Admissions Department in determining an applicant's fee status. The final decision as to whether a student has been ordinarily resident remains the discretion of the University of Glasgow. Some circumstances require further investigation to come to a fee status decision and are assessed on a case-by-case basis. 

For more details, please click here.

What are the tuition fees?

Are scholarships available?

We offer a number of different scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate students. Please use our Scholarship search tool to find University and external awards you are eligible for. 

What is the cost of living and accommodation in Glasgow?

Job opportunities after graduation?

95.9% of our graduates find employment or are continuing their studies 6 months after graduation (DHLE 2016/17). Our on-campus Careers Service can help you with your CV, application and interview skills. They host information sessions in partnership with the International Student Support team on finding work in the UK.

See also: Working in the UK after studies

Can I visit the campus?

Please see Campus Tours for Prospective Students

Can I talk to a current student?

Chat to our students 

Can I meet you in my country?

The Glasgow-based recruitment team and in-country staff are beginning to travel again in 2022. To check if a trip is arranged to your country, please check webpage for your country/region.

Who is the representative for my region?

To contact our in-country staff in China, India, Indonesia, Nigeria, Singapore and USA, please complete the online enquiry form.


Entry Requirements

What are the academic entry requirements?

Are there additional entry requirements?

Please go to the webpage for the programme you want to study:

Do I need to study a Foundation programme or Pre-Masters programme?

Please check the entry requirements for your country/region.

What are the English language requirements?

Please go to the webpage for the programme you want to study:

What type of IELTS should I take?

We accept the Academic or the Academic UKVI IELTS. We do not accept the General IELTS or IELTS Indicator.

Do I need to submit English Language test results?

You must submit English Language test results as part of your application unless

  • you are from a majority English speaking country as defined by UK Visa and Immigration OR
  • you have a qualification, studied over 1 year or more, from the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Canada**; Dominica; Grenada; Ghana*; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; Kenya*; New Zealand; Nigeria*; South Africa*; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; UK; USA; Zimbabwe*.

*See the webpage for your country for full details.

**Canadian passport holders only.

Making an Application

When can I apply?

Undergraduate/Bachelors applications open at the beginning of September each year on and

Postgraduate Taught/Masters applications open in October each year on our website.

Postgraduate Research/PhD applications are open all year round and you can apply on our website.

How do I apply?

Can I apply before I get my results?

Yes, you can apply before you finish your current academic qualifications. We will make you a Conditional offer of Admission based on your current studies.

Can I apply through an agent?

Yes, you are welcome to apply through an agent. Our Agent partners are listed on the webpage for your country/region.

Is there an application fee?

  • Undergraduate: See or
  • Postgraduate: applications to Adam Smith Business School programmes carry a fee (see programme pages). All other applications are free to submit.

Do I need to submit a personal statement?

  • Undergraduate: Yes, this is required
  • Postgraduate: Most programmes do not require a personal statement. If it is required to submit one, it will say so on the programme webpage.

What should I include in my personal statement/research proposal?


When will I receive a response to my application?

  • Postgraduate applicants should receive a response within 1 month, however, at busy times of the year this can increase to 2 months.
  • Adam Smith Business School and School of Computing Science: Masters applicants will receive a response to their offer by the date stated on the webpage for the programme they have applied to.
  • Undergraduate/Bachelors applicants should expect to wait 2-4 months for a response to their application.

I have been made a conditional offer. What does this mean?

A conditional offer means you have a place, but you still need to meet the requirements – usually exam results.

I have been made an unconditional offer. What does this mean?

An unconditional offer means you have a place at the University.

How do I submit my documents?

Applicants should submit their documents on the Applicant Self Service portal. If you have applied via CommonApp, please email your documents to the named person on your offer letter.

How do I accept my offer?

  • Undergraduate UCAS applicants should accept their offer via UCAS. If you applied via CommonApp, please email the named person on your offer letter to accept.
  • Postgraduate students should accept their offer on Applicant Self Service.

Do I need to pay a deposit?

  • Undergraduate: We do not require a deposit for undergraduate applications, however, Medicine offer holders need to pay £3000 one month before the beginning of the programme.
  • Postgraduate: Some postgraduate programmes require a deposit upon acceptance. If a deposit is required, it will be stated on your offer letter or on the webpage for your chosen programme.

Can I defer my offer until next year?

To request a deferral, please complete the online enquiry form.


How and when do I apply for a visa?

Please visit our visa pages.

When will I get my CAS?

Unconditional Firm students should receive their CAS via email by mid-July (September entry) or mid-November (January entry). Students who become Unconditional Firm later than mid-July will receive their CAS within 5-10 business days. This will happen automatically, and you do not need to request it. Conditional students will receive their CAS after they become Unconditional Firm.

I'm paying international fees but I have an EU passport. Do I need a visa?

Please visit our EU student webpages for the most up-to-date information.

Can I book my flights before getting my visa?

It is possible to book your flights before getting your visa but we strongly advise against it.

What is the Graduate Immigration Route (Post Study Work Visa)?

On 11 September 2019 the UK Government announced the creation of a new immigration route which will enable international students to remain in the UK for two years after they have completed their studies. Further information about the Graduate Immigration Route.


Preparing for Glasgow

How do I apply for student accommodation?

How do I pay my tuition fees?

Self-funding students should visit how to pay your tuition fees

When is the first payment of accommodation due? When can I move into university accommodation?

Your first rent payment is not due until October, giving you time to sort out your finances when you arrive in Glasgow. Visit the accommodation pages for more information.

How do I find private accommodation?

Advice on private accommodation in Glasgow. Also, you may want to consider private student housing in Glasgow

When can I register for classes?

Registration opens in August. The date varies depending on the programme you are studying. You will be emailed directly by your School when registration is open.

What will I need to bring to Glasgow?

We don’t recommend shipping your belongings over unless the items are an absolute necessity to you. The vast majority of items can be bought cheaply in Glasgow so one suitcase worth of clothing (etc) will be enough.

Am I entitled to healthcare as an international student in the UK?

Healthcare in the UK. 

How do I join a bank?

Students cannot join a bank until they have moved into their accommodation as the bank with need a UK address and proof of student status. We cannot recommend a particular company but most major UK banks have branches on Byres Road and Dumbarton Road.

See also: Banking

Which mobile/cell network should I join?

There are four network providers in the UK, with many smaller networks who 'piggyback' on the bigger networks’ signal. According to Ofcom (Independent Regulator) all of these networks provide a good signal in Glasgow. Research the best deal for you online, speak to local friends or shop on Byres Road or Buchanan Street to find the network for you.

Our International Student Support webpages have further useful information which you should familiarise yourself with before coming to Glasgow.