In 1851, the University of Glasgow welcomed its first South African student, Tiyo Soga, the son of a Xhosa-speaking chief and one of the first African ordained ministers in South Africa. Soga married a Scot, Janet Burnside, and two of their sons studied at the University of Glasgow. The younger of these two Allan Kirkland Soga, went on to become one of Africa’s leading political and legal thinkers in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and was editor of the newspaper Izwi Iabantu and founder of one of the political movements which was a forerunner to the African National Congress.
Glasgow is Scotland’s largest city and is home to the largest student population in Scotland. Glaswegians’ reputation for friendliness means that wherever you come from, it's easy to treat the city as your second home.
Glasgow has long held an affiliation with South Africa and in 1981 the city awarded Nelson Mandela the Freedom of the City, the first UK city to do so.
The University of Glasgow will consider students who have gained high scores in their National School exams for direct entry into first year. Students who have taken a recognised foundation or access programme or equivalent will also be considered, as well as those students who have studied GCE A Levels.
National Senior Certificate: Your entry requirements depend on when you completed high school.
For students who completed South African National High School studies before 2009: applicants will be considered with South African Higher Grade Matriculation Certificate Grades BBBB at Higher Grade, including any required subjects at Grade B (Higher Level).
Graduates from the National Senior Certificate (NSC) or Independent Exam Board (IEB) applying to degrees in science and engineering must have a minimum requirement of five subjects, four of which must be at Grade 6 or higher, including any required subjects at Grade 6.
For applicants to degrees in humanities or social science, the minimum requirement is grade 6 in at least four NSC/IEB designated subjects.
For entry to most Postgraduate Taught or Research degrees, the minimum requirement is a good undergraduate degree (2:1 or above) from a recognised university.
Postgraduate English Language Requirements
The University will waive the requirement to sit an English language test to applicants who meet the following conditions:
- NSC English Home Language, Grade 4 or NSC English First Additional Language, Grade 4
- Upload an 2019 English Language Test Waiver form completed by their graduating university.
- University of Glasgow funding
- University of Glasgow funding
- School of Computing Science: International Excellence Awards
- School of Geographical and Earth Sciences: PGT Excellence Awards
- University of Glasgow International Leadership Scholarship
- University of Glasgow African Excellence Fee Waiver
- University of Glasgow/Glasgow International College Achievement Award
- External funding
The University works closely with the University of Cape Town and the University of South Africa.
We have a partnership with the University of Johannesburg (UJ) through Universitas 21.
Study Abroad and Exchange opportunities at Glasgow
We welcome over 1500 students every year via the long-established Study Abroad and exchange programmes
If you want to come to Glasgow for a year abroad and your country does not have an existing agreement please look at our incoming Study Abroad Programme options
Meet our team in South Africa
Feb 11 - Feb 13 2020
- Location: Johannesburgh, Cape Town
- Event: IE Abroad Study Abroad Education Expo
- Contact: Pamela Armstrong
Students who choose to be counselled by an agency should expect the following standards of service:
- Representatives will support students throughout the application process, providing advice and assistance in the preparation/submission of documents. It is, however, the applicant who must remain ultimately responsible for their account and the management of communications.
- Representatives will have full access to student data contained within the application form and may manage a student application by discussing all aspects of the application with the University of Glasgow.
- Representatives should be honest and accurate in communicating information about the University to the student and vice versa. At no time should representatives disseminate false or misleading information to the student or to the University.
- Representatives will conduct themselves with fairness and integrity at all times and are subject to a rigorous selection and ongoing training process by the University of Glasgow.
- Representatives are paid by the University for their services and will not pass on charges to prospective students.
We would be happy to welcome you to our historic main campus in the heart of Glasgow, where we host open days and campus tours for you to experience our University in person. For more information, go to: http://www.gla.ac.uk/about/visit/.
International Summer School
You can also apply to join our International Summer School. This is an excellent introduction to studying at a world renowned university. The summer school offers a variety of credit and non credit-bearing courses including Mathematics and Physics, Theatre and Performance and International Business. The International Summer School website details all courses on offer.
Summer study allows you to:
- Explore a particular topic in more depth
- Experience teaching from world-class academic staff
- Supplement your studies and gain international experience and credits at a world-class university
To attend the International Summer School for most courses, but not all, you must meet the following criteria:
- You should be a current student or a graduate of an international higher education institution*.
- If your first language is not English, we require a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (or equivalent)
- You should have a GPA of at least 3.0 (or equivalent)
Special circumstances may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please refer to individual course descriptions for courses that vary from the standard criteria.
- Applications for 2020 are currently open