Managing Performance and Simulation MGT5410
- Academic Session: 2022-23
- School: Adam Smith Business School
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 2
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
The course is built on two main components: Performance management and measurement in operations, in particular services, and application of simulation in performance management. The two components are closely linked and together they are providing a systematic as well as an analytical view on managing performance in organisations.
Three weeks in total: 2 hours each in weeks one and two of teaching, 3 hours in week three of teaching.
(Please refer to MyCampus for timetable).
Intended Learning Outcomes
The aim of this course is to introduce students to up to date and practically useful topics and discussions in the area of performance management, including different approaches to measuring performance. The course also brings opportunity for hands on learning experience by introducing a popular tool in performance management, that is simulation, and by discussing where and how this tool can be used as an integrated part of a wider performance management and measurement system. The software to use is Simul8.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Apply an analytical thinking to help with manging organisational performance while complementing that with a systematic view
2. Design and review a variety of performance measurement tools and system for managing organisational performance
3. Apply simulation and interpret its results to provide recommendations for design and improving operations, while appreciating the limits and the scope of simulation
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.