Ask Me 2019

Ask Me Ambassadors' Guide


Police/Ambulance/Fire Brigade

Emergency number: 999

Campus Security/Crisis Team

Gilmorehill: +44 (0) 141 330 4444 (4444 from an internal phone)
Garscube: +44 (0) 141 330 2222 (2222 from an internal phone)

The Crisis Team are available 24/7 via security.

See the Emergency and Crisis Support page for more information.

Finding Buildings and Rooms

Get the Roomfinder App

Campus Maps

Important Locations on Campus

View the Campus Map

Accommodation Services

Level 1 of the Fraser Building [Map: E2] 

Monday to Wednesday: 0900 - 1700
Thursday: 1000 - 1700 
Friday: 0900 - 1700 

Counselling & Psychological Services

67 Southpark Avenue [Map: E12] 

Disability Service

65 Southpark Avenue [Map: E12] 

The Hunterian

Tuesday to Saturday 1000 - 1700
Sundays 1100 - 1600 
Closed on Mondays

Admission: Free - show student Campus Card 

The IT Helpdesk

IT Helpdesk is located in the Library, Level 4 Annexe.

The Library

The Library is at the top of the hill on Hillhead Street, next to the Fraser Building [Map: D11]
Open: 07:15 - 02:00, 361 days of the year
Once you have your Campus Card you are automatically a member of the Library. Staff at the Welcome Desk on Level 2 are there to help. 

Lost Property

For general lost propery, visit the Main Gatehouse [Map: A21]

For lost campus cards, visit the Student Services Enquiry Desk, Level 2, The Fraser Building [Map: E2]


Stevenson Building [Map: E6] 

SRC Welcome Point

Ground floor, McIntyre Building, next to the University Main Gate [Map: A22]

SRC Advice Centre

McIntyre Building [Map: A22]

Student Services Enquiry Team

Level 2, The Fraser Building [Map: E2]



Registration and Enrolment

Where can I get help with Registration?

For general registration guidance see and the UofG Helpdesk Knowledge Base.

For in-person assistance, visit the Student Services Enquiry Team desk in the Fraser Building (Map: E2).

The Registration and Enrolment Support Team will be based in the McMillan Reading Room (Map: E1) from 2 September-27 September, Mon-Fri, 09:00-17:00.

If you have a specific enquiry please raise a UofG Helpdesk service request.

Where can I get help with Enrolment?

For general enrolment guidance see and the UofG Helpdesk Knowledge Base.

For in-person assistance, visit your School or College office.

If you have a specific enquiry please raise a UofG Helpdesk service request.

Registration and Enrolment for Study Abroad & Exchange students:


Where do I get my Campus Card?

Tuesday 10 - Friday 13 September 2019: Hunter Hall West, Main Building (A14 on Campus Map)

Week beginning Monday 16 – Friday 20 September 2019: Hunter Hall West, Main Building (A14 on Campus Map).

From Monday 23 September 2019Student Services Enquiry Team on Level 2 of the Fraser Building (E2 on Campus Map)

Where possible, try to attend at the date and time slot  that fits with your program of study, and at the time slot allocated by your family name. See a full list of time slots.

I have lost my Campus Card.

Go to the Student Services desk in the Fraser Building to see if it has been handed in. If not, you should purchase a replacement at the Student Services desk or through MyCampus, following these instructions. The card will be ready to collect from the Student Services desk the next working day. 

There is a charge of £10 for a replacement card, unless you can provide evidence that your card has expired, been damaged or been stolen. More details

Where do I register my visa? (New students only)

Tuesday 10 September – Friday 13 September09:00-17:00: Hunter Hall East, Main Building (A14 on the Campus Map)

Monday 16 September – Friday 20 September, 09:00-17:00: Hunter Hall East, Main Building (A14 on the Campus Map)

From Monday 23 September: 09:00-16:30: McMillan Reading Room (E1 on the Campus Map)

  • If you are collecting your BRP from us, please book a time for collection on MyGlasgow (you will receive the link for booking via email after we receive your BRP).
  • If you have already collected your BRP from elsewhere, please bring your passport and BRP.
  • If you do not have a BRP (e.g. if you are here for only one semester), please bring your passport containing your visa (this may be in the form of an entry stamp or a full vignette/sticker).
  • If you have immigration permission in a non-student category, please bring your passport/travel document and your BRP or other immigration status document. If you are not sure what to bring as proof of your immigration status, please email us.
  • If you do not have your passport and/or BRP because you are awaiting the outcome of a visa application, please see below ("Evidence of a visa application") for information on what you can provide to complete Visa Registration.

*If you need to collect your BRP from us before Tuesday 10 September, you can do this at the Student Services Enquiry Desk, Level 2, Fraser Building. Please note this is for BRP collection only. If you are collecting your BRP from a different location or if you do not have a BRP, you can only register your visa with us from 10th September onwards.

More details at:

When do I check-in my visa? (Continuing students only)

Main Campus McMillan Reading Room Monday 30 September - Friday 11 October 0900 - 1630
Dumfries Campus

School Office, Rutherford/McCowan Building

Monday 7 October - Friday 11 October 1000 - 1600
Dental School School Office, Level 6 Monday 7 October - Friday 11 October 1000 - 1600
Garscube Campus Dumgoyne Room, Level 2, McCall Building Wednesday 9 October 0930 to 1300
SUERC Administration Office Monday 7 October - Friday 11 October Confirm with your supervisor

Please note that students attending at a location away from the Main Campus can only attend if they are usually based there; e.g. only Dental students can check-in at the Dental School. However, any student can check in at the Main Campus, even if they usually study at a location other than the Main Campus.

More details at:


Health and Advice

I need a doctor or dentist

Register with a local doctor or dentist:

Barclay Medical Practice is an on-campus surgery based in the Fraser Building (Map: E2).

I need advice

The SRC Advice Centre offers free and confidential advice to students. (Map: A22)

They can advise on:

  • Finances
  • Housing
  • Employment rights
  • Academic appeals
  • Complaints
  • Bullying and harrassment

Computing, Banking and Transport

How do I connect to Wi-Fi?

Connect to “flexaccess” and go to: Use the auto-installer to add settings. Use your student email address and GUID password to log in.

Where can I use a computer?

There are central computer clusters in the Main Library Levels 1 - 8 and 10 and the McMillan Round Reading Room. Colleges also have computer clusters.

Where can I print?

There are MFDs (Multi-Functional Devices) on Levels 2 - 8 and Level 10 of the Library and two in the McMillan Round Reading Room. You can buy printing credits via MyPrinting on MyGlasgow or at kiosks in the Library.

More guidance on printing is available at

Where is there an ATM?

Where can I find a bank?

Santander, RBS, Clydesdale, TSB- all on Byres Road
Bank of China- 450 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, G2 7JD
HSBC- 2 Buchanan Street, Glasgow, Scotland, G1 3LB

Where can I get a bus or subway into town?

The main subway for the University is Hillhead station on Byres Road. Kelvinhall and Kelvinbridge stations are more convenient for some locations.

Bus services along University Avenue are First 4 and 4A.

The main buses along Great Western Road are the 6/6A, on Byres Road the 8 and 90, and on Dumbarton Road the 2, 3, 17 and 77.


Where can I eat on campus?

Places to eat on campus:

Social & Welcome Events

UofG Welcome App

Download the New Student Welcome App for event updates.

Freshers' Week

All Freshers' Week events will be listed on and

International Student Welcome

The Welcome Programme aimes to help new international students during the arrival period. The Welcome Desk will be set up on Level 1 of the Fraser Building, Monday-Friday, 08:00-17:00 from 10-27 September.

International Student Orientation

The International Orientation programme is open to all new undergraduate and postgraduate students from outside the UK who have been accepted to University of Glasgow from September 2019.

The programme will begin on 12 September. Places are limited, so students wishing to participate should register online before 29 August.

More information and the full programme is available at

Sport Activities

Details of all events and activities are listed online at:


Where are the Student Organisations?

How to Get Involved

Expectations of Ambassadors

  1. Wear your "Ask Me" badge at all times on your outer layer of clothing
  2. Be friendly, smile and try to answer students' questions
  3. Use the guide above to support your "Ask Me" Ambassador activities
  4. If you don't know the answer to a student's enquiry, direct them to the Student Services Enquiry Team
  5. Enjoy the buzzing atmsophere of Campus!
  6. Report your feedback during and after the campaign has finished via the "Ask Me" Yammer Group