Building capacity of Vietnam schools to implement fundamental and comprehensive reforms: Designing and piloting interventions through professional development
Summary of project:
Objectives were -
- To identify the training and development needs of school principals and teachers in order to implement reform/renovation policies in the 2 regions of Vietnam (Central and South)
- To use data from 1 above, design and implement appropriate programmes of tailored interventions for diverse school contexts in Vietnam
- Provide programme of knowledge exchange and skills training for ‘train the trainers’ professional development for project partners (including universities) core school leaders and teachers from pilot schools as an integral part of the intervention programmes
- Provide a programme of interventions in selected pilot schools using Research-Design-Development and action learning cycle to change and improve teaching and management/leadership practices
- Pilot and evaluate the programmes with a view to adapting and scaling them system-wide in a subsequent stage.
Overall, the objective was - with collaboration with our Vietnamese partners (UoE HCMC, Vietnam National University, Ho Chio Minh City, College of Education, Hue University and Quang Tri Teacher Training College) - to influence the trajectory of the implementation of Vietnam’s educational reform/renovation in pilot schools, and after evaluation, to develop a number of variant models of school improvement to scale-up across the school system of Vietnam.
PI and Co-Is - International Collaborators
PI - Professor Clive Dimmock, School of Education, University of Glasgow
Co-I - Professor Chris Chapman, School of Education, University of Glasgow
Co-I - Professor Michele Schweisfurth, School of Education, University of Glasgow
University of Education, Ho Chi Minh City
Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City
College of Education, Hue University
Quang Tri Teacher Training College
Start and End Date
1 July 2017 – 31 December 2018
Funder and Funding Amount
The Head Foundation, Singapore £60,000
British Council, Vietnam £15,000
Dimmock, C. (2016). The cautionary tale of Vietnam’s ‘radical reform.’ Times Education Supplement, (24 June).