The UofG Helpdesk is where students can search for answers using the knowledge base, or submit requests for help or services.

MyCampus can be used to manage your student record and university finances, or to produce your own certifying letters and transcripts. Learn how to get more out of the UofG Helpdesk and MyCampus with our guides.

Council Tax

For more general information on council tax please visit our Council Tax Exemption webpage.

Good Cause

If you are facing difficulties that disrupt your ability to do a particular assessment or examination, good cause is the process for asking the University to take this into account. The University may be able to make appropriate allowances for assessments or examinations, such as waiving a late penalty, granting extensions, or allowing a resit.

Please refer to the information published by the Senate Office for latest updates to the good cause process and regulations in light of Covid-19. Your advisor of studies may be able to provide additional advice.

Self Service Documents (Letters, Transcripts)

Troubleshooting Self Service Issues
Our self service documents open in a new window or tab. If you are trying to generate your own documents and nothing happens, you may need to disable your pop-up blocker or allow pop-ups for University of Glasgow pages.

If you have disabled your pop-up blocker and you are still having issues generating your document you may need to clear your browser cache.

Your Student Record

For more general information on how to manage your student record please visit our Personal Information Updates webpage.