Thomas Chalmers Collection
Bound volume of 43 letters and notes from Church of Scotland minister and social reformer Thomas Chalmers (1780-1847) to William Buchanan of Glasgow.
In his ecclesiastical career, Chalmers was a minister at:
- Kilmany (Fife), (1803-1815)
- the Tron Church in Glasgow, (1815-1820)
- St John's Church in Glasgow, (1820-1823)
He also held several academic posts:
- Professor of Moral Philosophy at the University of St Andrews, (1823-1828)
- Professor of Divinity at the University of Edinburgh, (1828-1843)
- Principal of the Free Church College, Edinburgh, 1843-1847
As Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, Chalmers had a leading role in the 1843 Disruption, which led to the formation of the Free Church of Scotland.
The volume was donated by Buchanan's great-granddaughter, Mrs H.L. Tidy.
Other relevant letters may also be found in the collection of correspondence at MS Gen 520.