When booking, please specify the items you would like to consult.
If you're planning ahead for an extended research visit, email email@example.com to discuss options.
Level 12 of the Library: For Rare Books & Manuscripts and Scottish Theatre Archive
Thurso St: For University Archives and Scottish Business Archive
- UofG Staff and Students - Book an Appointment
- General public - Book an appointment (first time users will need to register)
If you require stair-free access to these collections, get in touch to discuss options.
- Bookings should be made no later than 5 days before the intended visit
- Your appointment is for one person only - please book additional slots for additional readers
- Toilets and hand-washing facilities are available
- Please bring only what you need into the reading room: pencils, notebooks, laptops/tablets, phones; strictly no food or drink
- Lockers are provided
- Please let us know if you have any additional access requirements
Reading room regulations
- All users are asked to be considerate of all other individuals within ASC spaces.
- Readers are not permitted to remove any collection items from the Reading Rooms.
- If you require any assistance handling any items, please ask the Reading Room supervisor. In particular please do not fold, lean on, mark, or damage any items.
- Use the supports provided for consulting bound volumes. If you are consulting original photographs, illuminated manuscripts, or objects please use the gloves provided.
- Keep items in the order they are produced to you.
- Please help us by informing the Reading Room supervisor if any item appears to be damaged, missing, or out of place.
- Please inform the Reading Room supervisor when you are ready to leave.
- The Reading Rooms are designated for quiet research; please keep conversations to a minimum wherever possible.
- If you require online access, please bring your own laptop or tablet. Whilst ASC staff will be able to assist with searching online discovery tools, using your own device is recommended.
- Many of our collections may be photographed for personal study. Please ask ASC staff if you wish to take pictures.
Please specify the items you would like to consult, up to a maximum of 3 items per appointment.
Our Virtual Reading Room appointments are 1-hour video calls allowing you to consult ASC items.
UofG staff and students - Book a virtual appointment
General public - email to request an appointment.
We will email you a Zoom meeting link (If you would prefer to use MS Teams for the call, please let us know when making your booking).
During the session we will endeavour to answer any basic questions about the items you are consulting, but we are unable to undertake detailed research on your behalf.