The University of Glasgow Library is pleased to announce that its Visiting Research Fellowships scheme for 2023 is now open.
The University of Glasgow Library is pleased to announce that its Visiting Research Fellowships scheme for 2023 is now open. This scheme seeks to support scholars from across academic disciplines to come to Glasgow to work on our unique research collections.
Glasgow is proud to have an outstanding library of old, rare and unique material, including many illuminated medieval and renaissance manuscripts of international importance, and more than 10,000 books printed before 1601. It also houses extensive collections relating to art, literature and the performing arts, as well as the University’s own institutional archive which dates back to the 13th century. It is also home to the Scottish Business Archive, with over 400 collections dating from the 18th century to the modern-day.
The Fellowships are competitive peer-assessed awards. They are designed to provide financial support towards the costs of travel and accommodation to enable researchers to work on the unique collections held in the University Library. The successful recipients should spend between two and four weeks over the course of a year working with the collections in Glasgow.
Two Fellowships are offered by the William Lind Foundation to support research into Scottish business history, otherwise, the scope of proposals is open to applicants to define.
How to apply
Applications are now closed.
- The value of the award is up to £2000.
- The award will be made for a project relating to the University of Glasgow Library collections. Applicants will be at any stage of their academic career but are expected to be a holder of a completed Ph.D. However, consideration will also be given to applicants with a demonstrable track record in academic research as evidenced by, for example, peer-reviewed publications. Independent and emeritus scholars may also apply.
- The award will cover a period of at least two and no more than four weeks in the calendar year 2023.
- Scholars will make their own arrangements for travel and accommodation. Travel, subsistence, and other reasonable research expenses will be eligible to be claimed to a value of £2000.
- Applications will be peer-reviewed by a panel of University of Glasgow academics. Applicants will be notified of decisions by the end of December 2022.
- Acknowledgment of the award should be made in any future publications resulting from research undertaken during this award.
- Visiting Scholars are expected to submit a short report of their research findings for inclusion on the Library website and/or the Friends of Glasgow University Library newsletter.