A collection comprising over 30 original songs composed by Sir Hugh Roberton (1874-1952), about 50 of his song arrangements, 100 original part-songs, some 200 part-song arrangements (a number of these being different versions of the same work) and most of the faux bourdon psalm settings in the series arranged by Roberton.
The Glasgow Orpheus Choir, founded in 1906 by Roberton, became well known not just in its native city but throughout the choral world during the first half of the 20th century. In addition to having founded the choir and acting as its conductor, Roberton composed and arranged many of its songs and part-songs. In addition to these original songs and arrangements, the Roberton Collection, which was presented to the Library through the good offices of Henry Farmer (1882-1965), holds 20 letters between Sir Hugh’s son Kenneth and Farmer, and several photographs of Sir Hugh. There is also a small quantity of archival material concerning Roberton in the Farmer Collection.
Further material relating to the Glasgow Orpheus Choir is held in the Papers of Robert Rankine and the Andrew Guthrie Collection of Glasgow Orpheus Choir material.
How to find material from the Roberton Collection
- Browse through a list of printed/published items in this collection or use the rare books search to locate a printed/published item (items are catalogued with the shelf-mark beginning Sp Coll Ca16-y)
- Browse through a list of manuscript/unpublished items relating to Roberton or use the manuscripts search to locate a manuscript/unpublished item (eg type Roberton in the descriptions box to access a list of item descriptions of relevance); photographs of Roberton are shelved at Ca16-y.1 and letters to Farmer at Ca16-y.12.
- Sheila Craik and David Weston, Tunic, tinsel, toga: an exhibition to mark the centenary of Henry George Farmer, 1882-1965 (Glasgow: 1982).
- See also: the Papers of Robert Rankine , (MS Gen 1742) which includes material relating to the choir's discography and a large collection of the choir's recordings.
- See also: the Andrew Guthrie Collection of Glasgow Orpheus Choir material , (MS Gen 573) which includes correspondence, publications, programmes, promotional material, recordings and photographs.