Lanark by Alasdair Gray
In 1984, Alasdair Gray donated drafts and manuscripts of Lanark : a life in four books to the University Library. These papers consists of numerous drafts, both in loose leaf manuscripts, typed drafts, page proofs and notebooks. Several of the notebooks also contain drawings by Gray. Other works by Gray are also present to a lesser extent, such as drafts for The Fall of Kelvin Walker and Mavis Belfrage. In 2002 Gray donated further material relating to his poetry and short stories.How to find material relating to Lanark:
- All items shelved at MS Gen 1595: see full list of items; these records are available via the manuscripts search
- There is also related material housed in the Scottish Theatre Archive; find via the Scottish Theatre archive search using the name option.
- Six lithographs of the title pages from the book. Sp Coll HX 127
- Alasdair Gray: Lanark: a life in four books (Edinburgh: Cannongate, 1981). Copies of the completed published book available in the library.
- Robert Crawford and Thom Nairn: The arts of Alasdair Gray (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, c1991)
- Further materials relating to Lanark and other works can be found in the Mitchell Library and the National Library of Scotland.
See also the following book of the month article:
- Alasdair Gray: Drafts and Papers of Lanark: a life in four books: Edinburgh: 1981 (Book of the month May 2002)
Further material relating to Gray's work is shelved at MS Gen 1745.