A collection of almost one hundred Socialist books and pamphlets from the private library of James Carmichael (1894-1966), Labour MP for the Bridgeton division of Glasgow from 1947 until his retirement in 1961.
Originally elected in 1946 as a candidate for the Independent Labour Party (ILP), of which he had been a lifelong member, he was to be the last ILP Member of Parliament. A year after his election he joined the Labour Party and represented his constituency in Parliament as a Labour MP.
The collection contributes to our understanding of the intellectual background and political formation of those who gave a cogent voice to the arguments against the capitalism of the time.
The collection was donated by James Carmichael's son, the Rt Hon. Lord Carmichael of Kelvingrove.