US federal loans

Exchange rate

We will use a theoretical exchange rate of 1.45 to calculate 2022/23 Cost of Attendance amounts.

The exchange rate used for the CoA is our best guess [at the time when the Cost of Attendance was calculated for the next cohort of applicants] of roughly how many dollars would be required to ensure they will buy the amount of pounds needed and then inflated a bit more to allow for a worst case scenario. Worst case is where a very high number of dollars is needed to buy one pound.


At each disbursement of loans, when exchanging funds from dollars to sterling, we will use the rate applicable on the day we receive the funds from the US Dept. of Education.


US Department of Education Title IV regulations

For full information on your rights and responsibilities in respect of Title IV lending, please refer to

Loan eligibility

To be eligible for Federal Direct Loans, you must:

  • be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security number
  • be a student enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible programme at an eligible institution and have a high school diploma
  • be enrolled at least half-time for the period for which the loan is originated
  • complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually
  • not be in default on an educational loan and must not owe a repayment on an adjusted federal grant*
  • comply with the University's satisfactory academic progress policy

 *Please note that you will be ineligible for loans if you have defaulted on previous years' federal loan repayments.  Defaults are reported on the FAFSA application and no new loans can be certified until an arrangement to pay arrears has been made with the Loan Servicer.  The University of Glasgow will require documentary evidence that the Loan Servicer now considers your loans are now in good standing.

Ineligible programmes - (this is not an exhaustive list of ineligible programmes. If you have any concerns regarding the eligibility of your intended programme please contact Carol Barnett or Pamela McNair)

  • BA Community Development (Hons)*
  • All Distance Learning programmes*
  • Diploma and Certificate Programmes *
  • Undergraduate MBchB *
  • Bachelor of Nursing *
  • Bachelor of Dental Surgery*
  • International Masters Erasmus Mundus programmes*
  • MSC in Conservation Management of African Ecosystems*
  • MSc in Marine and Freshwater Biology*
  • BSc Honours in Statistics*
  • Language programmes with a language year abroad*
  • Master of Global Business (MSB)*
  • Any programme that is taught or part taught with another institution*
  • Students attending the Glasgow International College (GIC)
  • Students studying at the Edinburgh Theological College Edinburgh
  • Incoming Study abroad/exchange students (apply for loans through your home school)


* You can apply for a private education loan.


Postgraduate students - If you wish to return to the US before the end of the academic year and complete your dissertation at home this makes you ineligible for federal loans.  Dependent on the date that you leave the UK,  funds from your previous disbursement may have to be returned to the US Dept. of Education and any subsequent disbursements will not be released to you.

PHD Students - If a PhD student carries out periods of research in the USA this may make them ineligible for federal lending.  Please contact Carol Barnett to discuss further.

Study Abroad - if you intend to complete a Study Abroad period while at Glasgow this may affect your eligibility for federal loans.  You must check this with Carol Barnett or Pamela McNair prior to accepting a Study Abroad place.

How to apply

Loans can be arranged throughout the academic year. However if you wish to have your loans in place by September, please submit to us all required documentation by the second week in August.

Students who apply for their loans later in the year must do so by contacting Carol Barnett (Vets/postgraduates) or Pamela McNair (undergraduates) to advise that their FAFSA has been completed.

The deadlines for late applications are 30th April 2023 for Undergraduate and veterinary students.  30th June 2023 for postgraduate students. 


1. Submit a FAFSA.

The US Dept. of Education opens FAFSA applications each January for the next academic year and students can complete or renew their FAFSA from then. However the financial aid process of certifying and confirming loans starts in May when USDE Loans systems are updated.

New Students

You will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Please review this and make any corrections necessary. to confirm that your SAR is complete.

Continuing students

You need to complete a renewal FAFSA every year, using the same FSA ID from previous years. Forgotten your FSA ID?


We download your Student Aid Report and e-mail you a letter confirming the loan amounts and types available to you. This will include guidelines on what to do next (see 2 below)


2. Completing documentation

New Students

Visit and complete the following documentation:-

  • Entrance Counselling
  • For Direct Subsidised and/or Unsubsidised Loans - a Master Promissory Note
  • For Graduate/Parent Plus Loans - a Master Promissory Note AND a Plus Loan Request application

(N.B. For Parent Plus Loans the parent completes the Master Promissory Note and application under their own FSA ID.)

Return the completed Loan Information Form (attached to the first letter we send you) to us.

Continuing Students

Follow the same process as above without the Entrance Counselling


What next?

Once you have completed all the relevant documents, we will be able to certify your loans. We will send you a letter confirming the amounts and approximate disbursment dates by courier. This letter has been approved by the UK Border Authorities.

Attendance cost

You may borrow up to an amount equal to their Cost of Attendance (COA) less any scholarships that you have been awarded (from any source). The Cost of Attendance consists of two elements:

  • Tuition costs
  • Living costs

The Cost of Attendance (COA) will be provided to you on your Financial Aid Letter. This will be sent once you have completed your FAFSA and advised us by email.

For the academic year 2022/23 the cost of attendance exchange rate will be 1.45. (For an explanation of this please see the "Exchange Rate" tab on this webpage)

Dependant costs

The US Dept. of Education does not allow additional lending for a spouse. However if you have dependent children the regulations will allow for the cost of childcare whilst you are attending your studies.  Please note that this is the only cost allowed for dependents.

Contact us if you have dependents and need to include the cost of registered childcare in your Cost of Attendance.

Accommodation costs

You are responsible for paying your own accommodation costs. For students living in University accommodation -  you can pay this in full immediately or set up a UK bank direct debit to pay by instalments via your MyGlasgow student account.

Tuition fees

If you have arranged sufficient loan funds, we will deduct this equally from your loan disbursments to pay your fee in full.

If your loans are less than the tuition fee, we will estimate how much will be received in sterling and ask you to make up any shortfall.


The maximum Cost of Living in 2022/23

The maximum Cost of Living paid to students (with no dependents) in 2022/23

Undergraduate: £16040(paid over 2 instalments)

CostsWeekly No of weeksTotal Academic Year
Rent(On or off Campus) £170 36 £6120
Utilities £45 36 £1620
Food £60 36 £2160
Travel expenses £25 36 £900
Books/Computer equipment £25 36 £900
Personal £65 36 £2340
Subtotal £390 36 £14040
Flights home (2 per year) - - £2000
Total - - £16040

+ For 1st year students only

Visa and healthcare fees




Postgraduate: £22280 (paid in 3 instalments for Masters Students/2 instalments for PHD Students)

CostsWeekly No of weeksTotal Academic Year
Rent (On or Off Campus) £170 52 £8840
Utilities £45 52 £2340
Food £60 52 £3120
Travel expenses £25 52 £1300
Books/Computer equipment £25 52 £1300
Personal £65 52 £3380
Subtotal £390 52 £20280
Flights home (2 per year) - - £2000
Total - - £22280

+ For 1st year students only

Visa and healthcare fees

- -

£1194 (1 year PG)

£2604 (PHD students)

£1664 (2 year Intl Masters)



Veterinary Medicine Students Years 1-3: £21360 (paid over 2 instalments)

CostsWeekly  No of weeksTotal Academic Year
Rent (On or Off Campus) £170 44* £7480
Utilities £45 44 £1980
Food £60 44 £2640
Travel expenses £25 44 £1100
Books/Computer equipment £25 44 £1100
Personal £65 44 £2860
Subtotal £390 44 £17160
Flights home (2 per year) - - £2000
Added cost associated with vet course - - £2200**
Total - - £21360

+ For 1st year students only

Visa and healthcare fees

- - £3074

* The undergraduate academic year is 36 weeks. Veterinary students’ Cost of Living allowance includes an average of 8 weeks extra in first 3 years to cover EMS.

** This is an additional amount for veterinary students to cover equipment costs/ extra travel costs etc.


Veterinary Medicine Students Year 4: £24480 (paid over 3 instalments)

CostsWeekly  No of weeksTotal Academic Year
Rent (On or Off Campus) £170 52* £8840
Utilities £45 52 £2340
Food £60 52 £3120
Travel expenses £25 52 £1300
Books/Computer equipment £25 52 £1300
Personal £65 52 £3380
Subtotal £390 52 £20280
Flights home (2 per year) - - £2000
Added cost associated with vet course - - £2200**
Total - - £24480

* Although 4th year completes at the end of April, students immediately start on 5th year. The Cost of Living Allowance is based on 52 weeks on this year to see students through until the new academic loan year commences in September.

** This is an additional amount for veterinary students to cover equipment costs/ extra travel costs etc.


Veterinary Medicine Students Year 5: £18240 (paid over 2 instalments)

CostsWeekly  No of weeksTotal Academic Year
Rent (On or Off Campus) £170 36* £6120
Utilities £45 36 £1620
Food £60 36 £2160
Travel expenses £25 36 £900
Books/Computer equipment £25 36 £900
Personal £65 36 £2340
Subtotal £390 36 £14040
Flights home (2 per year) - - £2000
Added cost associated with vet course - - £2200**
Total - - £18240

* The Cost of Living for 4th year students covered the weeks up to the middle of September and the start of the federal loan year. Therefore this year Cost of Living will cover September to the completion of the programme at the end of May.

** This is an additional amount for veterinary students to cover equipment costs/ extra travel costs etc.


Note to all students:-

We expect the students' living costs to be roughly in line with the figures we have supplied above.

Requests for additional funds will be considered only on an exceptional and case by case basis by the US Student Support Team.

Requests for Lending over the Published Maximum Policy

Loan types

You can review full information on federal loans/interest charges , fees and repayment rules on the US government website:-

Please note that foreign schools are not eligible to certify Pell Loans or Grants.

The US Dept. of Education charge an Origination Fee on all loans.  In 2021/22 Direct Subsidised and Unsubsidised Loans are subject to a 1.057% and Plus Loans 4.228%.  The fee is deducted at source before we receive your disbursement funds.

Direct Subsidised Loans

This is awarded to students based on financial need. The information you supply on your FAFSA is used to calculate your EFC (Expected Family Contribution). Your EFC and the amount of your EFA, (Estimated Financial Assistance i.e.any scholarships, bursaries or awards you will receive) will be deducted from your Cost of Attendance to determine your Financial Need. Please note that Graduate/Professional students are no longer eligible for the Direct Subsidised Loans.

The US government will pay the interest on a subsidised loan while you are enrolled at least half time or during a grace or deferment period.

Direct Unsubsidised Loans

This is not based on financial need. Whilst studying at least half time, or during deferment or grace periods you have the option of paying the interest or having it capitalised and added to the total value of the loan therefore increasing the amount you need to repay.

Direct Subsidised/Unsubsidised loan limits

The maximum on this type of loan that you are allowed to borrow annually and also over your academic career are set by the US government. The amount available depends on your degree level and whether or not you have been classed as dependant or independent on your FAFSA.


Subs.Unsubs Direct Loan Limits
Year of Study Annual Subsidised Annual Total Combined Loans
(Sub & Unsub)
Aggregate Subsidised Aggregate Combined Loans (Sub & Unsub)
Undergraduate Dependent Students
Year 1 $3500 $5500 $23000 $31000
Year 2 $4500 $6500 $23000 $31000
Year 3+ $5500 $7500 $23000 $31000
Undergraduate Independent Students
Year 1 $3500 $9500 $23000 $57000
Year 2 $4500 $10500 $23000 $57000
Year 3+ $5500 $12500 $23000 $57000
Graduates & Professional Students
All Years $0 $20500 $0 $138500

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

Parents of dependent undergraduate students can borrow a federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan and can borrow up to the total Cost of Attendance minus all other sources of financial aid their student receives. The loan is the financial responsibility of the parents and not the student.

A parent PLUS loan borrower must meet the same citizenship and residency requirements as the student. The parent must not owe a refund on a federal student financial aid grant or be in default on a federal student loan. Repayment begins within 60 days after your loan is fully disbursed and lasts ten years.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is a federal loan that graduate students with good credit histories may borrow to help pay their educational expenses. A graduate student may borrow up to the total Cost of Attendance less all other financial aid received.

Students must have applied for their annual loan maximum eligibility under the Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loan Program before applying for a Graduate/Professional PLUS loan.

Repayment begins on the date of the last disbursement of the loan and the first payment is due within 60 days after the date the loan is fully disbursed. Graduate PLUS borrowers may receive a deferment while he or she is enrolled on at least a half-time basis at an eligible school.

Private Loans

A private loan is a non-federal loan through a private lender and is usually in the student’s name and requires a cosigner.

Undergraduate students who have been classed as Independant on their FAFSA would need to take up this type of loan if they need to borrow more that the Subsidised/ Unsubsidised Direct Loan limits.

There are very few lenders still doing educational loans for students attending schools outside the US.  Below is a list of lenders that the University of Glasgow has liaised with. This is not a comprehensive list of all lenders.  It is not an endorsement or recommendation by the University.

If you find a lender that is not on the list below please check with them that they are willing to work with foreign schools outside the USA before proceeding. Both the student and the lender should then get in touch with us.

Global Education Management Services (Salliemae loans) -

Earnest Loans -

And in specific states:

Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC) - 

Finance Authority of Maine (FAME) - 

Bank of North Dakota - 

Loan disbursment

Your Financial Aid Award Letter confirms that your loans have been certified.  However please note that at the start of each academic year we cannot request the first disbursment funds of your loans until you have completed all stages of registration on MyCampus. This includes

  • Academic Registration
  • Financial Registration

Full information can be found here


Please ensure that you have sufficient money of your own to see you through the first 3-4 weeks. This will allow time for you to open a UK bank account, your loan funds to be disbursed and reach your bank account.



Opening a UK Bank Account

We would advise you to open a UK bank account as soon as possible when you arrive here.  The local bank branches tend to be very busy in September so make an apppintment with one of them as early as you can.  The bank will need to see ID and usually a certifying letter confirming your student status here.  You can download that letter through MyCampus - see the link provided


Loan disbursment for Federal Loans

  • Convera (formerly Western Union) will disburse funds for Federal Loans to students on our behalf.
  • Loans will be disbursed in September and January for Undergraduate & Veterinary Students (1st-3rd and 5th year); in September, January and May for Postgraduate taught students/4th Year Veterinary students; and in October and April for PHD students.
  • A Financial aid award for the amount of your tuition fees will be applied to your student account (or if the loan is insufficient to cover the full fee an estimate of what we will receive will be applied) in anticipation of us receiving all of your loan disbursements. This will allow you to register and therefore enrol in classes.
  • The funds come in dollars direct to the University's account with Convera (formerly Western Union).
  • We will convert the amount received into sterling using the exchange rate applicable on the date the funds were received.
  • We will deduct half (undergraduates/PHDs) or one third (postgraduate taught students/4th year vets)of your tuition fees and pay any remaining funds into your bank account.

*If your loans are insufficient to meet your tuition fees, you will need to arrange to make up the shortfall by paying this immediately or by bank direct debit over 8 instalments. Find out more about making payments.


Loan Disbursement for Sallie Mae private loans

  • Once you are registered, we will request the loan funds from Salliemae.
  • A Financial aid award for the amount of your tuition fees will be applied to your MyCampus student record (or if the loan is insufficient to cover the full fee an estimate of what we will receive will be applied) This will allow you to register and therefore enrol in classes.
  • The funds come in dollars direct to the University's account with Convera (formerly Western Union).
  • We will convert the amount received into sterling using the exchange rate applicable on the date the funds were received.
  • The full tuition fee (or amount estimated per 2nd point above) will be deducted from your disbursement if there are sufficient funds. 
  • Any excess funds will be refunded into your bank account.



Disbursement dates

The disbursement dates provided are estimated. Please do not depend on funds being credited to your account on that date. You may need to allow 5-6 working days for the whole release of funds process to complete.

For 2nd/3rd disbursements, we require confirmation of your Satisfactory Academic Progress before we will request your funds.





Exit counselling

When your enrolment at the University of Glasgow ceases you are obliged to complete exit counselling. This includes graduation, withdrawal from University, transfer to another school or drop to a less than half time study basis.

You will be asked to complete your counselling session on the National Loan Data System (NSLDS) site. This session takes approximately 30 minutes and provides you with information on your rights and the repayment of your loans.

You will need your FSA ID used for your FAFSA application.

Please e-mail us when you have done this and we will update your loan records.

If you withdraw from studies

Download: ‌ (pdf)

Veteran Affairs Benefits

The University of Glasgow participates in the Veterans Affairs Benefits programme.

How to Apply

If you think you may be eligible for these benefits you should first of all contact the Department for Veterans Affairs:

(The University does not have access to an individual's eligibility, remaining benefits or how much the VA will pay you.)

Once it has been confirmed that you are eligible for Benefits please e-mail Carol Barnett with your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA and also your SSN. We will check to find out if your chosen programme of study has been previously approved for the University of Glasgow by the Veteran Affairs.

If it has already been previously approved for another student then that approval applies to all subsequent students enrolling on that particular programme.

If the programme has never been approved, we will apply to the VA for approval.  At the moment the Dept. of Veteran Affairs has a backlog of aoorival requests and they are taking up to 6 months to be approved or declined.


***PLEASE NOTE:- Online Distance Learning programmes at foreign schools are not eligible for VA Benefits.***

***IMPORTANT ACTION REQUIRED*** When applying for admission to the University of Glasgow, please clearly state on your application that you will be applying for Veterans Affairs Benefits as an American student.

Enrolment Verification

The Veteran Affairs requires certification of enrolment before they will pay benefits to students. The University will confirm your enrolment to the VA in late August.


Payment of Benefits

Where applicable, Housing Benefits and Book stipends are paid directly to the student.

Payments for Tuition Fees will be sent direct to the University. The maximum that the VA will pay out in tuition fees for attending a foreign school in 2021/22 is $26381.37.

Please note that the Dept. of Veteran Affairs chooses an exchange rate on 1st July each year and that is applied to the GBP tuition fee that we confirm.  The VA do not change this rate throughout the year.

They send the funds in USD and we then need to convert that back to GBP to apply to your tuition fee. We use the conversion rate applicable on the date we receive the funds.  Due to variances in exchange rates this can result in us receiving less than or more than estimated at the start of the academic year. If we receive more the excess is refunded to you when the final VA instalment has been released to us.  If we receive less you will be asked to make up that shortfall.

If your Certificate of Eligibility confirms that you are entitled to benefits we can process a financial aid award, before the academic year begins, onto your MyGlasgow student record in anticipation of receiving these funds throughout the year from the VA.  We have to estimate the amount that we will receive. If this estimate does not cover all of your fee you will need to arrange to pay the difference.  This will allow you to complete financial registration.

The funds are received in 2 instalments for undergraduates/PHD students and 3 for postgraduate taught students.  When the funds are received we will exchange them into pounds sterling. Carol Barnett will advise you by e-mail of what has been received at each benefits disbursement.

On receipt of the last payment due from the VA we will calculate the amount received in total.  If there is a surplus amount over the figure we estimated at the start of the year we will arrange to have this credited to your bank account. If we receive less than we had estimated then we will ask you to make up the difference.

Please note: the University has no control over the timescales for payment of your benefits from the Veterans Affairs.

Veterans Affairs Benefits - Accreditation of Prior Learning Policy

The University of Glasgow has a separate Accreditation of Prior Learning Policy, specifically for VA students.

Other finance/tax matters

Scholarship awards

The Direct Loan Regulations stipulate that awards should be deducted from a student's Cost of Attendance this reducing the loans available.

Contact Carol Barnett and provide details of the scholarship awarded.

Deferring loan repayments

In early October US students' registration at Glasgow will be entered onto the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). Lenders and Loan Services will use NSLDS to defer loan repayments for the period you are attending the University of Glasgow.  The Loan Servicers should not require paper based In School Deferment Forms.

If you are not taking out a loan in 2022/23 but need previous loans deferred please advise Carol Barnett or Pamela McNair of your SSN and we will add your enrolment details onto the NSLDS system.


Please note that the end date recorded on NSLDS is the end date of your studies and this is not the same date as your graduation ceremony.


Tax form 1098T

As a foreign institution, The University of Glasgow does not issue the 1098-T form for students. If you need a formal document to confirm the tuition fees paid please e-mail Carol Barnett or Pamela McNair to request a Certificate of Fees Paid.

Our Tax EIN number is 98-0388786


Title IV Consumer disclosure information

The University is listed in the Education (Recognised Bodies) (Scotland) Order as a recognised degree-awarding body.


Academic programmes

School costs

Book/supplies costs – for specific requirements of your programme, we advise you to contact your department.

You may also wish to contact the Library to borrow books/specific titles.

Withdrawal procedures

Satisfactory academic progress

Disability services

Default Management Plan

Equality and Diversity

Admissions policy


Study Abroad/Exchange Student Information


Health & safety regulations, welfare & wellbeing


Consumer Disclosure


Financial assistance available



Completion/Graduation/Transfer rates (US Student Right to Know Act)

Information on the University’s completion and transfer out rates are available from HESA (The Higher Education Statistics Agency).

For these rates please see the links below:


Freedom of Information Act (US FERPA and Safeguarding Customer Information)



The University is approved by the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) and The Scottish Further & Higher Education Funding Council (SFC) to deliver education to the required standards.

View the University of Glasgow Academic Quality Framework

 View the latest QAA report on the University of Glasgow -


Loan Disclosures

1. For information about US loans, please visit our dedicated US Loans page

2. Code of Conduct for Educational Loans

In order to prohibit a conflict of interest with the responsibilities of an agent with respect to private education loans, staff at the University with responsibility for Federal and Private Education Loans from the United States are prohibited from the following:

  • Revenue sharing arrangements with lenders
  • Receiving gifts from a lender or loan servicer
  • Obtaining financial benefits from lenders or loan servicers
  • Providing a preferred list of lenders.
  • Offers of funds for private loans

3. Preferred Lenders List

The University does not have a preferred Lenders List but will, where possible, work with whichever private lender a prospective borrower decides to use. Students should be aware that the majority of private lenders choose not to offer loans when borowers are studying outside the USA. This is why, on our US Loans information the only loans we list as being accessible are the US Federal Direct Stafford and PLUS loans or the private Sallie Mae loans. 



Gainful employment disclosures

The University of Glasgow is approved only to provide federal lending for students on a degree programme. Therefore there are no Gainful Employment Disclosures to report.

Paper copies of the Consumer disclosures mentioned above are availble on request.