Opening hours and admission
Occasionally opening hours can change at short notice.
- Thursday 17th October: closed for building maintenance
- Friday 18th October: closed for building maintenance
- Tuesday 22nd October: spaces available 12.30pm to 5pm
- Tuesday 29th October: spaces available 12.30pm to 5pm
- Monday 4th November: spaces available 12.30pm to 5pm
- Friday 8th November: spaces available from 1pm
- Friday 15th November: spaces available from 1pm
- Tuesday 19th November: spaces available 1pm to 5pm
- Tuesday 26th November: spaces available 1pm to 5pm
Visiting Archive Services
Admission is free to all: every member of the University, visiting researchers and members of the public are welcome to use the collections. We suggest that you download our Visitor Pack which will help you to prepare for your visit and includes a version of the campus map specifically indicating the locations of our buildings.
Appointments are strongly advised, and are essential for using the ground–level searchroom.
Order slip collection times are currently 9.45am (Monday-Thursday), 10.15am, 11am, 11.30am, 2pm, 2.30pm, 3.15pm and 4pm.
If you make an appointment, we may be able to have items ready for you when you arrive.
Documents must be returned at least 15 mins before closing time.
Monday: 09.30 - 17.00
Tuesday: 09.30 - 17.00
Wednesday: 09.30 - 17.00
Thursday: 09.30 - 17.00
Friday: 10.00 - 17.00
We operate two searchrooms. Our main searchroom is on the 2nd floor of our building at 13 Thurso Street, up 4 flights of stairs (43 steps). There is level access throughout the 2nd floor, and 2 toilets off the tea-room. We also operate a ground-level search room in our Dumbarton Road building, with 2 toilets and an accessible toilet facility close to the searchroom.
Further information about accessing our buildings is available in our accessibility section.
While our searchroom service is provided free of charge, the University is grateful for donations to help maintain and preserve the collections. Donations can be made in cash or by cheque in the searchroom, or you can use our secure online donation form.