The official records of the University created and accumulated since our foundation in 1451. Including University related records deposited by staff, alumni and associated organizations and the records of predecessor institutions. The University’s records are an outstanding resource for Scotland’s educational, intellectual and cultural history.
The oldest records in the Archive are charters dating from the 13th century conveying land and privileges that eventually came to the University. The records of individual staff and students and groups and societies are also included.
The featured collections section highlights some of the collections held by the University Archive, including Collecting Covid-19, the Glasgow Guardian and the University of Glasgow Blackhouse Charters, 1304 to 1717.
Search for papers of staff, alumni and University related organisations. Browse the University of Glasgow Archive catalogue.
These guides highlight sources of information relating to the following research topics:
- (2 pages, 35kB, pdf)
- History of Medicine collections
- Prominent individuals associated with the University
- Predecessor and affiliated institutions
- Rectorial Addresses
- 19th November 1873 (24 pages, 4.1MB, pdf)
- Idealism in International Politics, 3rd November 1923 (12 pages, 3.3MB, pdf)
- Alienation, 28th April 1972 (13 pages, 5MB, pdf)
- Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, 7th February 1940 (23 pages, 3.4MB, pdf)
Online Student Publications
For a comprehensive list of all our research guides, please go to A-Z of guides.