Collection: P & W MacLellan (GUAS Ref: UGD 153)
The Cavenagh Bridge, is one of the oldest bridges in Singapore, linking the Civic District on the northern bank to the Commercial District on the southern bank of the Singapore River. Designed by John Turnbull Thomson of the colonial Public Works Department, the bridge was manufactured by P & W MacLellan of the Clutha Iron Works, Glasgow and shipped in parts to Singapore where it was reassembled. The bridge was opened in 1870, but by 1910 had become overloaded with traffic and the Anderson Bridge was constructed as a replacement.
View larger image The Cavenagh Bridge became a pedestrian bridge and is now conserved as part of the Urban Redevelopment Authority’s conservation programme. There are 4 drawings of the bridge in the P & W MacLellan collection, relating to the chains, anchorage and girders. (GUAS Ref: UGD 153/16/1/2. Copyright reserved.) For further information on the P & W MacLellan Ltd archive, please see the online catalogue.
Collection: United Turkey Red Co Ltd (GUAS Ref: UGD 13)
United Turkey Red Co Ltd, bleachers, finishers and dyers, Alexandria, Dunbartonshire was incorporated in 1898 through the amalgamation of John Orr Ewing & Co, Archibald Orr Ewing and William Stirling & Sons. The firm specialised in Turkey red dyeing and exported cloth around the world, but particularly to India. The collection has a large selection of colourful decorative labels that were put on the bales of cloth. This example was used on the bales destined for Diethelm & Co Ltd for the Singapore and Bangkok markets.
(GUAS Ref: UGD 13/7a/8/3. Copyright reserved.)
For further information on the United Turkey Red Co Ltd archive, please see the online catalogue.