Collection: W & A McOnie (GUAS Ref: UGD 118)
Glasgow was a world-leader in manufacturing and repairing sugar machinery for sugar estates around the globe, including the Caribbean, South America, Australia, Mauritius, India, Manilla and Japan.
In 1851, W & A McOnie, engineers and millwrights, was formed in Scotland Street, Glasgow, by Andrew and William McOnie. Between 1851 and 1876 the company built 820 steam engines, 1650 sugar mills, 1200 steam boilers, 117 waterwheels, and 169 evaporating pans, mainly for Mauritius, Brazil and Java.
This image shows an entry for an order for three batteries of sugar boiling pans to be sent to R W Thomson on Java in January 1862. The order also includes the shipping mark (the B inside a diamond shape) to be stencilled on the packing cases.
(GUAS Ref: UGD 118/4/1/1 p5. Copyright reserved.) For further information on the W & W McOnie archive, please see the online catalogue.