Collection: North British Locomotive Co Ltd (GUAS Ref: UGD 11)
North British Locomotive Co Ltd was the result of an amalgamation of three locomotive companies in Glasgow in 1903: Neilson Reid & Co, Sharp, Stewart & Co. Ltd., and Dubs & Co. By the early 20th century it was the biggest locomotive builder in Europe, with 60 acres of works and nearly 8,000 employees.
At its peak, production was averaging 447 completed locomotives per year. It was especially productive during the First World War producing shells, shell forgings and portable pill boxes, as well as aeroplanes, tanks, military bridges, artificial limbs and machine tools.
This is a photograph of a contract book with an order for 25 locomotives to be supplied to the New Zealand Government in 1920.
(GUAS Ref: UGD 11/6/1 p74. Copyright reserved.)
For further information on the North British Locomotive Co Ltd archive, please see the online catalogue.
Collection: Gourock Ropes & Canvas Ltd (GUAS Ref: UGD 42/6/9)
Gourock Ropeworks Co Ltd, of Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, Scotland, created the wholly owned subsidiary Gourock Ropes & Canvas Ltd in 1888 to deal with the overseas trade. The first branch was opened in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in 1888 and in 1902 a branch in Sydney, Australia was opened. Subsequent Australian branches opened in Melbourne and Brisbane.
Prior to 1920 the Sydney office also covered New Zealand after which time a separate office was established in Wellington, New Zealand. The company produced ropes, twines, cordage and proofed Birkmyre cloth for tents and tarpaulins.
View larger image
This is an aerial photograph (by Whites Aviation Ltd) of the New Zealand office in Wellington highlighted by a small arrow in the bottom left hand corner, c1920s.
|(GUAS Ref: UGD 42/9/4/4. Copyright reserved.)|
For further information on the Gourock Ropes & Canvas Ltd archive, please see the online catalogue.