This collection comprises over 300 volumes bequeathed in 1971 by Charles A. Hepburn, Glasgow whisky distiller, philanthropist, art collector and bibliophile. These are mainly first editions of 19th-century English novelists and poets. There are also a number of fine bindings and a dozen fore-edge paintings.
How to find material from the Hepburn Collection
- Browse a list of titles of printed material from the Hepburn collection (Sp Coll Hepburn); alternatively, use the rare books search to locate printed items
- There are a small number of manuscripts shelved at MS Hepburn (follow link "list collection content" to see a list of titles)
- Charles A. Hepburn bequest: an exhibition of printed books and manuscripts Web exhibition.
See also the following web articles that feature items from the Hepburn collection:
- Fore-edge paintings in the Hepburn Collection (Flickr set: April 2013)
- Heraldic manuscript England?: c 1625 (Book of the month: February 2008)
- R. S. Surtees Handley Cross London: 1854 (Book of the month: November 2005)
- Charles Dickens Bleak House London: 1852-53 (Book of the month: November 2004)
- The life and opinions of Tristram Shandy London: 1765-1769 (Book of the month: October 2000)
- Lewis Carroll: Through the Looking Glass London: 1872 (Book of the month: March 2000)