Applying for Research Study in Science and Engineering

 1. Type of Application

Research applications are usually for a self-defined research project (for which there are no application deadlines) or for a specific studentship project with attached funding.

If you wish to submit your own proposal for consideration you will either need to a) identify the School in which you wish to conduct your research and determine whether or not there is a supervisor working in a relevant area or b) contact the Graduate School for further assistance or advice. Furthermore you can search our website or contact our Schools directly for more information about whether or not we can provide supervision in your area:

Studentship projects tend to have deadlines depending on the funding.  Find all projects available across the College and information about sources of funding.

2. Applying

Once you are ready to submit your online application please go to: How to apply for a research degree.

Applications should be submitted with the documents specified at the above page and with a research proposal for applications in the following Schools (one page will suffice unless specified):

  • Chemistry
  • Computing Science (two/three page proposal required)
  • Engineering
  • Geographical and Earth Sciences
  • Psychology

3. Eligibility

You are usually expected to have a 2.1 Hons degree and in some cases a relevant Masters qualification. Non-EU students should have achieved a 6.5 average in their IELTS test (with no lower than 6 in each sub-set).  Find more information about English Language requirements.

4. Fees

Fee information can be found at the following page:

5. What happens next?

Your application will be assessed by an academic in the relevant School. Should you meet the criteria for study and the University is in a position to offer adequate supervision, you will receive an academic offer. This is separate to any offer of funding which is confirmed by a scholarship letter.

We aim to process all applications within two weeks, but in the case of scholarships, incomplete applications, research proposals requiring development etc, this will, of course, in some cases take longer.
Any queries about your application and its progress can be emailed to Admissions.

6. Visa Applications and ATAS

Non-EU students who receive an offer will require a CAS in order to apply for a Visa and may also need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate for certain programmes The JACS code you need to use in any ATAS application is provided in your offer letter.

Any queries about CAS can be directed to Admissions.