Post-graduate research opportunities
The range of PhD research projects for entry in 2012 is listed below. We welcome ideas from prospective UK and international students at any time. Contact the project supervisors to discuss the projects and funding opportunities.
The application deadline for NERC quota award funding is April 30th 2012.http://www.gla.ac.uk/research/az/suerc/postgraduatestudy/project7/
1. Determining the production rate of cosmogenic He using basalt lavas from Etna and the Canary islands
Supervisors: Fin Stuart & Darren Mark
2. Tracking the composition of the Archean atmosphere and oceans using stable isotopes in chert
Supervisors: Darren Mark, Fin Stuart & Martin Lee (Glasgow University)
3. Temporal and geochemical dissection of recent (50 ka) volcanism in the Campania Plain: Campi Flegrei and Vesuvius
Supervisors: Darren Mark, Rob Ellam & Dr Victoria Smith (Oxford University)
4. Freshwaters degas CO2 to the atmosphere: why, how much, when and where?
Supervisors: Jason Newton, Susan Waldron (Glasgow University) & Trevor Hoey (Glasgow University)
5. Are changes in resource utilisation driving the decline in gull populations?
Supervisors: Rona McGill, Jason Newton & R. Nager (Glasgow University)
6. Resolving North Atlantic Marine Radiocarbon variations over the past 10,000 years in palaeoenvironmental and archaeological samples
Supervisors: Phillipa Ascough & Gordon Cook
7. Does climate change affect peatland stability?
Supervisors: Gillian MacKinnon, Mark Garnett & Susan Waldron (Glasgow University)
8. Constraining the temporal evolution of subduction zone volcanoes: a case study from the Aeolian Islands
Supervisors: Rob Ellam & Darren Mark.
Please submit a CV and the contact details of two referees to Fin Stuart (firstname.lastname@example.org). Candidates for NERC studentships should meet requirements for both academic qualifications and residential eligibility: http://www.nerc.ac.uk/funding/application/studentships.
Non-UK European Union citizens are eligible for fees only by NERC.