(jointly offered with Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT))
The Mechanical Engineering programme aims to train engineers capable of exploiting current and future technology to produce competitive and innovative products within a commercially demanding environment. A key feature is the strong emphasis on acquiring digital skillsets in IIoT, data analytics and digital designs through project-based multi-disciplinary learning and industrial immersion. The programme provides a thorough and firm grounding in the fundamentals underpinning mechanical engineering, while allowing for students to specialise in either mechanical design or mechatronics.
Introducing the School of Engineering
- The University established a Regius Chair of Civil Engineering and Mechanics in 1840, making Glasgow the oldest university school of engineering in the UK. We have been delivering a world-class engineering education for more than 160 years, building and sustaining an excellent international reputation.
- Each year our 2,500 undergraduate and postgraduate students are taught by staff renowned for their leading-edge research.
- In the UK’s 2014 independent research exercise (REF), we were placed within the top 5 in the UK for our “internationally excellent” and “world-leading” research.
- We have access to excellent facilities and collaborate with other leading universities and research institutes worldwide on a range of projects that address the technological needs of society.
- The education we provide is informed and supported by our links with industry and industrially relevant research. In Singapore, the UofG-SIT programmes seek to provide students with various dimensions of exposure to local industry in order to enhance their employability upon graduation.
- All of our existing MEng and BEng degrees are accredited by their respective professional bodies.
Introducing Singapore Institute of Technology
Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) is Singapore’s university of applied learning. It aims to be a leader in innovative university education by integrating learning, industry and community. SIT offers applied degree programmes targeted at growth sectors of the economy.
As Singapore’s university of applied learning, SIT offers its own applied degree programmes with a unique pedagogy that integrates work and study. It also offers specialised degree programmes in partnership with world-class universities.
To find out more about SIT, visit: singaporetech.edu.sg
In your first year you will study:
- Engineering Mathematics I
- Fundamentals of Programming
- Engineering Mechanics
- Engineering Design Graphics
- Fundamentals of Electronics & Circuits
- Digital Engineer Skills
- Engineering Mathematics II
- Effective Communication
- Sensor & Signal Technology
- Materials & Manufacturing Technology
In your second year you will study:
- Engineering Mathematics III
- Mechanics of Solids
- Thermodynamics & Heat Transfer
- Design & Manufacture I (Design specialisation)
- Mechanics of Mechanisms (Design specialisation)
- Automation & Robotics (Mechatronics specialisation)
- Real-time Computing Systems (Mechatronics specialisation)
- Modelling & Simulation
- Career & Professional Development
- Mechanical Design (Design specialisation)
- Fluid Mechanics (Design specialisation)
- Additive Engineering (Design specialisation)
- Mechatronics Design (Mechatronics specialisation)
- Electronic System Design (Mechatronics specialisation)
- Software Engineering (Mechatronics specialisation)
- Specialised Engineering Project
- Risk and Reliability Analysis
- IIoT & Data Analytics I
- Design & Manufacture II (Design specialisation)
- Mechatronics Group Project (Mechatronics specialisation)
During the vacation between years 2 and 3 you will take part in an overseas immersion programme in Glasgow to complete either Design & Manufacture II or the Mechatronics Group Project based on your specialisation.
In your third year you will study:
- Integrated Work-Study Programme (IWSP)
- Capstone Project
- Professional Engineering Practice
- IIoT & Data Analytics II
- Microelectronics for Engineering Products (Design specialisation)
- Advanced Materials Technology (Design specialisation)
- Unmanned Systems (Mechatronics specialisation)
- Digital Signal Processing (Mechatronics specialisation)
How to apply
This degree programme is jointly offered with the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) on the campus of Ngee Ann Polytechnic in Singapore. Students will graduate will a jointly-awarded degree from the University of Glasgow and SIT.
Applications to this programme are processed by Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). Please visit the SIT web site for admissions requirements or to apply online:
- For programme-related and admission enquiries please contact Singapore Institute of Technology: email: Adm@SingaporeTech.edu.sg (for local students), Adm.Intl@SingaporeTech.edu.sg (for international students) or telephone +65 6592 1136.
- For enquiries about financial aid and scholarships please email: FAS@SingaporeTech.edu.sg or telephone +65 6592 1136.