(jointly offered with Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT))
Civil Engineers design, develop and create the built environment which surrounds us by improving our quality of life across a wide variety of sectors. In order to prepare students for this dynamic industry, the programme at SIT encompasses a wide range of topics ranging from the study of buildings, bridges and transport systems through to geotechnics, dams, water supply and environmental engineering. In order to produce industry-ready graduates, there is a particular focus on project-based learning. This takes place through a three week Overseas Immersion Programme (OIP) in Glasgow, UK and an Integrated Work Study Programme (IWSP) which comprises an eight month structured learning programme embedded in industry. These pivotal projects alongside the carefully designed course structure will provide you with the knowledge, skills and understanding to help you embark on a career within this exciting, fast-changing profession. Flexible programmes that cater to full-time or SkillsFuture Work-Study are available.
Introducing the School of Engineering
- The University established a Regius Chair of Civil Engineering and Mechanics in 1840, making Glasgow the oldest university school of engineering in the UK. We have been delivering a world-class engineering education for more than 160 years, building and sustaining an excellent international reputation.
- Each year our 2,500 undergraduate and postgraduate students are taught by staff renowned for their leading-edge research.
- In the UK’s 2014 independent research exercise (REF), we were placed within the top 5 in the UK for our “internationally excellent” and “world-leading” research.
- We have access to excellent facilities and collaborate with other leading universities and research institutes worldwide on a range of projects that address the technological needs of society.
- The education we provide is informed and supported by our links with industry and industrially relevant research. In Singapore, the UofG-SIT programmes seek to provide students with various dimensions of exposure to local industry in order to enhance their employability upon graduation.
- All of our existing MEng and BEng degrees are accredited by their respective professional bodies.
Introducing Singapore Institute of Technology
Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) is Singapore’s university of applied learning. It aims to be a leader in innovative university education by integrating learning, industry and community. SIT offers applied degree programmes targeted at growth sectors of the economy.
As Singapore’s university of applied learning, SIT offers its own applied degree programmes with a unique pedagogy that integrates work and study. It also offers specialised degree programmes in partnership with world-class universities.
To find out more about SIT, visit: singaporetech.edu.sg
An exciting feature of the programme is a visit to Glasgow during the vacation between the second and third years, when you will carry out a group structural design-based project that will examine both the conceptual and detailed aspects of structural design.
In your first year you will study:
- Civil Engineering and Sustainable Built Environment
- Engineering Physics
- Engineering Mathematics I
- Civil Engineering Skills
- Statics and Structural Mechanics
- Graphical Communication
- Effective Communication
- Engineering Mathematics II
- Fluid Mechanics
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Engineering Geology and Soil Mechanics.
In your second year you will study:
- Engineering Mathematics III
- Hydraulics and Hydrology
- Structural Analysis I
- Geotechnical Engineering
- BIM for Civil Engineers
- Transportation Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Structural Analysis II
- Structural Design
- Professional Communication and Development
- Foundation Engineering
- Construction Technology
- Design of Steel and Concrete Structures
- Seminar and Site Visit
- Design Project OIP at Glasgow.
During the vacation between years 2 and 3 you will take part in an overseas immersion programme which will be based on a structural design project.
- Integrated Work Study Programme
- Project Planning and Management
- Civil Engineering Practices
- Ground Engineering
- Rail Engineering
- Capstone Project
To be accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Board (EAB) in Singapore
Following successful completion of the BEng (Hons) degree, SIT will offer graduates the opportunity to study the one year MEngTech postgraduate degree.
How to apply
This degree programme is jointly offered with the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) on the Dover campus in Singapore. Students will graduate will a jointly-awarded degree from the University of Glasgow and SIT.
Applications to this programme are processed by the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). Please visit the SIT web site for admissions requirements or to apply online:
- For programme-related and admission enquiries please contact Singapore Institute of Technology: email: Adm@SingaporeTech.edu.sg (for local students), Adm.Intl@SingaporeTech.edu.sg (for international students) or telephone +65 6592 1136.
- For enquiries about financial aid, scholarships and pre-matriculated students: email: FAS@SingaporeTech.edu.sg or telephone +65 6592 1150