University of Glasgow Singapore
In partnership with Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), the University of Glasgow provides an exciting portfolio of BEng and BSc Honours degree programmes delivered in-country to graduates with good grades in an appropriate diploma from a polytechnic in Singapore, or equivalent.
- To deliver in-country undergraduate honours degree programmes to the same high standard as those of University of Glasgow in the UK for a high quality education that equips students for a lifetime career as leaders in industry and commerce
- To provide PhD training in support of industry in Singapore
- To develop research and development collaboration with industry and other organisations in Singapore
School of Computing Science
Since 1957, when it became the first university in Scotland to have an electronic computer, Glasgow has built a reputation for the excellence of its Computing Science research and its graduates. Today, our School of Computing Science is one of the foremost in the UK, setting itself the highest standards in research, and research-led learning and teaching.
Some of our research accolades include:
- In the UK's 2014 independent research exercise, we are rated top in Scotland for research impact with 68% of our impact judged world-leading and 32% internationally excellent;
- In the overall research ranking, our School was judged equal 16th amongst UK computer science departments, rising to 10th position on research volume with 84% of all research judged world-leading or internationally excellent;
- We are 6th in the UK on research intensity-weighted GPA rank order (GPA * % returned).
Other achievements include:
- Our School is ranked joint 10th in the UK in The THE World University Rankings by Subject 2018, and is in the top 100 in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018;
- We regularly achieve top rankings in the National Student Survey in which final year students have rated us 1st or joint 1st in four of the nine years of the survey.
Computing Science entered into partnership with Singapore Institute of Technology to deliver its BSc (Honours) Computing Science programme commencing in September 2013 on the campus of Republic Polytechnic.
In Singapore Institute of Technology's (SIT) 2017 Joint Graduate Employment Survey (GES) released on 10 September 2018*, it was revealed that graduates of the above programme are amongst the top five earners.
School of Engineering
The School has an annual research income of £23m and boasts facilities that include the state-of-the-art James Watt Nanofabrication Centre, a £4.2m Electronics Design Centre, a Centre for Rehabilitation Engineering for spinal injuries, and wind tunnel facilities to test aerofoils, cars and bridges. The research environment is enriched through extensive collaboration with other leading universities and research institutes worldwide on a range of projects that address the technological needs of society.
The School of Engineering pioneered the University's partnership with Singapore Institute of Technology commencing in September 2011, and has subsequently increased its in-country portfolio to include the following degree programmes:
- BEng (Honours) in Aerospace Engineering (delivered on campus at Singapore Polytechnic)
- BEng (Honours) in Civil Engineering (delivered on campus at SIT @ Dover)
- BEng (Honours) in Mechanical Engineering (delivered on campus at Ngee Ann Polytechnic)
Nursing & Health Care School
The Nursing & Health Care School was established with the aim of producing Graduate Nurses who were grounded in health related scientific theory and now has a national and international reputation for nursing education and research with patient/client as the focus of health care. The School’s research activity is multi-professional, patient-centred and collaborative and sits mainly within the themes of Improving Health, Wellbeing and Care and Education. The School was delighted to be named top in the UK in both the 2019 Complete University Guide and Times Good University Guide.
The School has access to excellent facilities and enjoys well-established relationships with clinical staff across NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde where students have clinical placements.
At undergraduate level, the School offers an Honours Degree (4 years) leading to Registration in Nursing. A strong science component, integrated with caring and leadership skills and strongly underpinned by research is a unique feature of our programme. Students have rated the School as the “Best in the UK” in terms of satisfaction and our highly valued graduates have excellent employment prospects.
The Nursing & Health Care School partnered with SIT to deliver its BSc (Hons) Nursing commencing in September 2016 based at SIT@Dover.