Current Residents FAQs

How do I pay my accommodation fees?

On accepting an offer of accommodation, students pay a one-off prepayment of £600 by credit or debit card.

N.B The requirement to make an advance payment has been waived for January 2023 offers due to a system update. The charge will be included in the accommodation fees.

The remaining balance must be paid through your MyCampus account. Please note that accommodation fees will appear in your MyCampus account on or shortly after the contract start date . You cannot set up a payment schedule until the fees are on MyCampus.

You may pay in instalments via a UK bank account (Direct Debit) or by credit card (manual payment plan). See Payment methods and Your Finances for details.

For information on payment of tuition fees go to Your Finances at:

When do I find out my room/flat details and who my flatmates are?

Your room/flat details will be given on the day you arrive. We cannot release these details in advance in case we have to make any last minute adjustments to room allocations. Don't worry if you are going to arrive a few days after the main arrivals weekend. The rooms are allocated in advance of your arrival, not on the day itself, so nobody can grab the perceived 'best room' if they arrive before you.

Part of the excitement of your arrival is meeting your new flatmates. Just remember everyone is in the same situation and may be feeling a bit nervous too.

The Residence Life teams are there for you to help you settle in and orientate around the residence and campus.

Can I drink the water from the tap/faucet?

Yes you can. Scotland benefits from some of the finest natural resources in the world. We use water to make our famous whiskies and supplies are regularly replenished!

Scottish Water are installing Top Up Taps throughout Scotland so you can fill up your reusable water bottle when you are out and about. Top up Taps can be found in Glasgow's Botanic Gardens and Queensberry Square in Dumfries. Please see Scottish Water's map for other locations.

Where can I do my laundry?

All Glasgow* residences have washing and drying facilities open 24 hours a day, every day, making it easy for you to stay up-to-date on your laundry pile. We use a laundry system called Circuit Laundry across all of our Glasgow residences, and you pay for each load with credit which you (or someone else) can top up online.

Our Dumfries residences have washing machines which are free to use for our residents.

*Firhill Court/Thurso Street/Kelvin Court/Stirling residences - please consult your residence guide or welcome information

How do I arrange a grocery delivery?

Visit our UofGLiving online grocery guide for information on the options.

I'm under 22. How do I get free bus travel in Scotland?

If you’re under the age of 22, you are eligible for free bus travel!


To apply for the scheme and access free bus travel, you will need a new or replacement National Entitlement Card (NEC) or Young Scot National Entitlement Card (Young Scot NEC). 

  • To apply, renew or request a replacement National Entitlement Card (NEC) please visit
  • To apply for or renew a Young Scot National Entitlement Card (Young Scot NEC), you need to contact your Local Authority. Please visit for full details and a link to check which Local Authority area you live in. 

Please be aware that previously issued cards will not be accepted and the photograph on the card must look like you. 

For the full story, please visit UofGLiving

How do I access the internet?

In all University of Glasgow residences, Internet and IPTV services are provided by our IT service partners Optify.

Complete information regarding all services and setup is available at site reception desks and on the Optify web page.

Check out our UofGLiving page for further information and contact details.

Firhill Court/Thurso Street/Kelvin Court/Stirling residences - please consult your residence guide or welcome information

How do I activate my membership of UofGSport?

You don't need to do anything. Your student card will automatically give you access to UofGSport facilities after you have checked in to your accommodation.

Membership begins on (or around) the start date of your accommodation contract and expires when your contract ends.

Your FREE off-peak membership gives you access to first class facilities, fitness classes and wellbeing resources. Visit UofGSport to find out more.

Membership is personal to the Member and may not be assigned, transferred or otherwise disposed of; you may not allow anyone else to use your Membership. Please view the full Membership agreement

How do I access MyCampus?

To become a fully registered student of the University, you must register online:

  • You will do this every year before the start of your programme of study
  • You will use MyCampus - the University's student information system
  • You will receive full details of how to log into MyCampus by email

Please review the Registration pages for full details.

Can I reapply to stay in residence for a subsequent year?

We may be able offer accommodation to a number of returning students. If you wish to be considered for a place in UofG accommodation after your first year, please apply in the usual way. The number of places available for returners will depend on the numbers of first year students applying for a guaranteed place. Please refer to our Admissions policy for further details.

Later year students can also apply to join the Residence Life team which can be a valuable addition to your CV as well as benefitting from a rent reduction. Find out more on the Residence Life pages.

Can I extend my stay over the summer?

We’d be more than happy to allow you to stay a while longer providing we have availability. Please email

Residents will be contacted in February to ask if a summer extension is required. Please note this may mean moving to a different room or residence for the summer months.

What is the internet speed in residences?

The average internet speed is 100 Mbps.

Can I have a pet animal in my residence?

Under the terms of the accommodation contract, no pets or live animals of any kind are permitted in University residence.

If you have an assistance animal, due to a registered disability, please include this information in your application.

What are my responsibilities - Covid sense?

All covid rules and restrictions have been lifted in Scotland, but the virus has not gone away. COVID-19, colds and flu can spread more easily in the winter.

We all still need to keep playing our part to protect ourselves and others. Stay well and make it safer for everyone this winter by:


Where can I find the latest Scottish Government guidance about Covid-19?

The Scottish Government's Coronavirus in Scotland pages have all the latest information on travel, testing and what you can and cannot do under prevailing restrictions.

I am experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, what should I do?

To prevent the spread of coronavirus, try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people if you have symptoms of a respiratory infection such as coronavirus and you:

  • have a high temperature or
  • do not feel well enough to go to work or carry out normal activities

Try to do this until you no longer have a high temperature (if you had one) or until you feel better.

Symptoms of coronavirus include:

  • continuous cough
  • high temperature, fever or chills
  • loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell
  • shortness of breath
  • unexplained tiredness, lack of energy
  • muscle aches or pains that are not due to exercise
  • not wanting to eat or not feeling hungry
  • headache that's unusual or longer lasting than usual
  • sore throat, stuffy or runny nose
  • diarrhoea
  • feeling sick or being sick

How to help your symptoms

  • drink fluids like water to keep yourself hydrated
  • get plenty of rest
  • wear loose, comfortable clothing – don’t try to make yourself too cold
  • take over-the-counter medications like paracetamol – always follow the manufacturer’s instructions

 Antibiotics will not relieve your symptoms or speed up your recovery.

You might continue to have a cough or feel tired after your other symptoms have improved. This does not mean that you're still infectious.

Speak to your GP if:

  • your symptoms worsen
  • you're concerned about your symptoms
  • you have symptoms that you can no longer manage at home
  • you're worried about your child, especially if they're under 2 years

If your GP is closed, phone 111. In an emergency phone 999.


How do I arrange a test?

Free COVID-19 testing has now ended for most people in Scotland with and without symptoms.

Testing is only available for specific groups to protect high-risk settings, support clinical care and for surveillance.

You can still access testing if:

If you are a healthcare worker in a patient-facing role or a social care worker in a service user face-to-face role you should access testing through your organisation if you have symptoms.

How do I get a Covid-19 vaccine or prove my vaccine status?

Vaccine information

NHS Scotland Covid Status App

You can use this to prove you have been vaccinated against coronavirus. This may be required for international travel. 

Register with a GP

The only way the NHS can record your vaccination history is if you are registered with a GP. You can register after your first vaccination, but you must register before your second vaccination. The NHS cannot link your vaccination history if you do not register,. This may cause problems in the future if you want to travel or if restrictions are placed on accessing certain facilities without proof of being fully vaccinated. See our UofGLiving story on how to register.

International students

If you have received a vaccine that isn’t available in the UK, but want to get a further vaccination here, the most similar alternative will be offered to you by NHS staff. Please bring any information about your first vaccination(s) to your appointment.

Vaccination status

What is the Distance Aware scheme?

 DDistance Aware logo exampleistance Aware

Distance Aware badges and lanyards show others you need space

Distance Aware badges and lanyards are for anyone who prefers others to take extra care around them, for any reason.

You might be worried about mixing with others as we adapt to living with the virus, or you might just feel more comfortable when you have more room.

The Distance Aware scheme was first developed by the Bevan Commission for Wales. The Scottish Government has worked with the Commission to adopt the scheme and adapt it for Scotland.

Get a badge or lanyard

Free from libraries and Asda stores

You can pick up a free Distance Aware badge or lanyard from all libraries across Scotland including the University Library.  Lanyards can also be collected from the Gatehouse at Garscube and the School Office in Dumfries. Free badges are also available in most Asda stores.

Order online

You can also order a badge or lanyard online. Find a list of charities to order from on the Bevan Commission Website.

Some of these charities charge a small fee for a badge or lanyard.