The Hunterian’s Historical Collection contains a range of objects related to the history of the museum and the University. Significant objects include a selection of things with a connection to the Old College, the earliest phase of the University of Glasgow. The Old College was founded by a Papal Bull issued by Pope Nicholas V on 7 January 1451. In 1460 the College was granted a building and some land on the east side of the High Street of Glasgow. This was the University's home for the next 410 years until the move to Glasgow's west end.
Included in the collection are various objects made with wood from the Old College, Glasgow which was vacated for the new Gilmorehill campus in the west end of Glasgow in 1870. Together with the historical furniture and academic dress, the extensive records preserved by Archive Services provide a rich resource for research and study in a wide variety of subjects.