The Cardiorespiratory Service at the Small Animal Hospital is dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of congenital and acquired cardiovascular in dogs and cats, aiming to prolong good quality life in all of our patients. We provide referring practices, their patients and clients with a clinical service and care of the highest quality.
- GE Vivid 7 echocardiography machine with colour-flow and tissue Doppler
- 24/48hr (Holter) ECG recorders
- Multi-channel electrocardiography machines
- Direct /Indirect Blood Pressure Measurement
- Two digital (CR) radiography suites
- Theatre suitable for cardiac interventional procedures with Fluoroscopy C-arm
- On site Computer Tomography (CT)
- Dedicated Intensive Care Unit
Standard Clinical Services
Our state of the art equipment allows us to investigate all forms of suspected cardiopulmonary disease in small animals. Doppler echocardiography enables us to identify the cause of cardiac murmurs and to assess the severity of congenital disease such as patent ductus arteriosus, pulmonic stenosis and aortic stenosis. It also allows diagnosis of acquired conditions such as dilated cardiomyopathy, valvular disease, feline cardiomyopathies, pericardial effusion and pulmonary hypertension. CT and bronchoscopy allow full investigation of pulmonary cases.
Surgical procedures available include:
- Surgical PDA ligation
- Other specialist procedures may be considered on a case by case basis where appropriate
Interventional Clinical Services
We perform the following interventional procedures:
- Amplatz occlusion of patent ductus arteriosus
- Balloon valvoplasty of pulmonic stenosis
- Pacemaker implantation
- ECG event recorder implantation
- Selective angiography
- Interventional Radiology and Endourology Service
These procedures are minimally invasive and allow clinical cure of certain cardiac conditions.
We provide a screening service for cardiac disease in all breeds of dogs and cats and in particular the following:
- Endocardiosis in Cavalier King Charles spaniels
- Aortic stenosis in boxers
- Aortic stenosis in Newfoundlands
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in pedigree cats
- Mitral valve dysplasia in bull terriers
Reporting and Advisory Services (For veterinary practitioners only)
- ECG Reporting Service: Send your ECG or fax a photocopy of your ECG to the Cardiology Service. There is a fee per report. This fee is waivered if the case is subsequently referred.
- Thoracic radiograph reporting service: There is a fee per report. This fee is waivered if the case is subsequently referred.
- Case advice: Free telephone and email case advice.
As a result of staffing changes within the Small Animal Hospital, we are currently only able to offer a limited cardiology referral service as follows:
- Routine cardiology clinics are currently held on Monday and Tuesday.
- Unfortunately we are unable to accept new cardiology emergencies at present.
Veterinary surgeons - please contact us for non-urgent queries via Cardiorespiratory email