Visa registration

Due to the current COVID-19 restrictions, only students who need to collect a BRP from us may attend their Visa Registration appointment.

If you have recently arrived in the UK and you are expecting to collect your BRP from us, but you have not received an email confirming it is ready, please complete this form.

If you do not need to collect a BRP from us, do not arrange a Visa Registration appointment. We will confirm here when Visa Registration is open again. You can complete registration and start your studies even while you are not able to attend Visa Registration.

To book an appointment to collect your BRP, please click here. You can only arrange an appointment if you are collecting a BRP from the University, due to the current COVID-19 lockdown.

Not sure if you have a BRP or if you need one? Please see here.

Please note that an appointment is mandatory for all students to allow us to control the number of people in the registration venue, to comply with social distancing requirements and generally limit the risk of transmission of COVID-19.

If you a starting a new programme of study at the University of Glasgow, and you are not a national of the UK or Ireland, you must book an appointment to attend Visa Registration where we will check your immigration permission for the UK. Universities are required by law to hold copies of your passport/travel document and visa/immigration permission on file for the duration of your studies.

You will be asked to upload a copies of certain documents when completing academic registration online. If you have not travelled to the UK, you only need to upload a copy of your passport.

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national with Pre-settled or Settled Status, or a Student Visa, you will probably not have any physical visa document or residence permit. Don't worry - your status is issued digitally and we will be able to check it online. You will receive further information about this when completing academic registration online.

Please note that you are able to complete academic and financial registration and enrol for courses before you have attended Visa Registration in person.

Information for Student Visa and Tier 4 visa holders starting their studies in the 2020/21 academic year:

  • You are able to start your studies online and only need to travel to Glasgow after you have a visa and can safely travel to the UK
  • Ensure that you travel to the UK:
    • before the latest possible start date on your CAS (complete this form to request a later date), and
    • Within the dates shown on your 30 or 90-day Entry Clearance vignette/visa sticker. If you need to change these to a later date, see the Home Office webpages for information on how to apply for this, and contact International Student Support if you require further advice
  • You do not need to complete Visa Registration in order to start your studies online. However you must complete it after you arrive in Glasgow (remember that you will need to self-isolate for 10 days after arriving in the UK, unless you have travelled from one of the exempt countries).
  • If you are already in the UK and are progressing to the University of Glasgow from previous study, please see "If you have extended your visa" below. Please note that you will also require an appointment to complete Visa Registration.

If you wish to collect your BRP from us, please ensure that you have entered our ACL code (2HE499) into the relevant part of your visa application form. For more information on BRPs, see here.






Visa Registration

Attending Visa Registration

All students require an appointment to attend Visa Registration and show their passport/travel document and visa documentation (for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals, we will check this on the UK government's checking system).

To book an appointment, please click here. Please note that if you are starting your studies in January 2021, Visa Registration appointments will be available from 7 January 2021.

At Visa Registration, you will do the following:

  • Bring your passport/travel document and any documentation showing your immigration permission for the UK (you may have already uploaded images of these documents during the online registration process).
  • If applicable, collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).
  • Collect your Campus card (if you have completed all other parts of the registration process and uploaded your photo).

If you have travelled from a country that requires 10 days of self-isolation after arrival in the UK, please ensure that you comply with this requirement and do not enter the university campus or arrange a Visa Registration appointment until after you have completed self-isolation.

When you book an appointment, you will receive an email confirming where and when you need to attend.

Uploading images of your immigration documents

All students are required to upload copies/scans/images of their immigration documentation while completing Academic Registrration online. Students will then be required to bring their original documents in person to their Visa Registration appointment.

If you are completing Step 11 of Academic Registration, please see our guide for more information on what you are required to upload.


If you have extended your visa inside the UK


If you previously studied in the UK and have applied to extend your visa for your University of Glasgow course, please note that you will need to provide the following document(s) at Visa Registration. Your requirements will depend on if you previously studied at the University of Glasgow or at a different insitution:

If you previously studied at the University of Glasgow (including EAS pre-sessional)

You will be able to complete visa registration by providing a copy of your Document Checklist. This is the pdf you downloaded from your online application at the time of submission. You can commence your studies while your visa application is in progress.

If your visa is still valid from your previous course and you have not yet submitted your new visa application, you are permitted to commence your new course on this visa, but remember that you must submit your application within 6 weeks of commencing your new course, or before your existing visa expires - whichever is earlier.

If you previously studied at or any other college/university (including GIC)

You will be able to complete visa registration by providing two things:

1.   Your passport and BRP (the ones you used to study your previous course)
2.   A copy of your UKVI Document Checklist

These must show that you have submitted your application in-time (i.e before the expiry of your most recent visa).  If you have made an out of time application, you will not be able to complete registration or commence your studies.

Please remember that you cannot complete registration or commence your studies if you hold a Student visa or Tier 4 visa with a different insititution's sponsor licence number and you have not yet submitted your new Student Visa application for the University of Glasgow.

Non-Student visas:
If you have made a visa application in a non-student immigration category, you will need to provide proof of a valid in-time application. This can be the Document Checklist if the application was submitted online, or posting receipts/UKVI acknowledgement letters etc. You will also need your passport and most recent visa, or a copy of these if you have sent them to the Home Office.

If you cannot show that you have made an in-time application, we may be able to request a check on your status with UKVI, however this will delay your registration and commencement of your studies.

Nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, USA and the European Economic Area/Switzerland

If you are a national of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, USA or any country in the European Economic Area (including Switzerland), you may be offered use of the electronic eGates when passing through UK immigration, instead of having to present your passport to a Border Force Officer.

Please be aware that using the eGates will mean you do not receive an entry stamp inside your passport. This is not a problem, but please remember to keep a copy of your flight details (boarding pass or e-ticket) to upload when you complete academic registration. You should also keep this safe for the duration of your time in the UK so you have proof of when you entered the UK in the absence of an entry stamp.

If you are planning to be in the UK for 6 months or less (e.g. if you are a one-semester exchange/erasmus/study abroad student or undertaking a short period of research), you may not have applied for a visa prior to travelling. In this case, using the eGates will automatically grant you immigration permission for the UK under the Standard Visitor category, which permits you to study for up to 6 months.

For more information on e-gates, see International Student Support's webpages.

Dumfries Campus

Students studying at the School of Interdisciplinary Studies in Dumfries should refer to its webpages or contact school staff there to confirm where and when Visa Registration takes place.