Collect your BRP from the University
Please note that the University's campus is currently closed to students, and it is not possible to collect your BRP. Students starting their studies in September 2020 will be able to collect their BRP from us. Please check here for further updates.
Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs)
What is a BRP?
A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is your Tier 4 visa in the form of an identity card which contains your biometric data and shows your facial image. If you are coming to the UK on a Tier 4 visa exceeding 6 months, and you applied for your visa from outside the UK, your visa will be issued in this format.
If you successfully extend your Tier 4 visa inside the UK, you will also receive a BRP, regardless of the length of visa.
If you applied for your visa outside the UK
If you make a successful Tier 4 visa application, you will receive:
- A 30-day Entry Clearance vignette/sticker inside your passport, and
- A 'Decision Letter' advising that your application was successful, and the location and date from where/when you'll need to collect your BRP once in the UK
You then enter the UK within the validity of your 30-day Entry Clearance vignette/sticker, and then collect your BRP before your vignette expiry date, or within 10 days of arrival in the UK (whichever is later). The BRP will show the full length and conditions of your Tier 4 visa.
You must not attempt to enter the UK before the start date of your visa. Please check this very carefully before booking travel and make sure you enter the UK within the 30-day window permitted.
Collecting your BRP from the University
If you entered our ACL code into visa application form, you will be collecting your BRP from the University of Glasgow's Main Campus.
|Tier 4 students||After we receive your BRP, we will email you with instructions on booking a time to collect it.|
Tier 2, Academic Visitors, Dependants and other categories
|Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and your your preferred booking date (please specify the date you wish to collect between Monday-Friday and whether you would like to collect in the morning or afternoon). We will respond to you with confirmation of your appointment.|
Please be aware of the following:
- If you have dependants included in your Tier 4 application, your dependants can collect their BRPs from the University as well. Please note that each of your dependants (including children and babies) must be in attendance with their passport for their BRP(s) to be issued. If you and your dependants are collecting at the same time, only one appointment is required. If your dependants are collecting on their own, they will need to arrange an appointment (see box above).
- If you are under 18 years of age at the time of collecting your BRP, it is strongly advised that you choose to collect your BRP from the University. If collecting from the Post Office, you need to be accompanied by a Responsible Adult who requires pre-approval from UKVI (even if they are your parent or legal guardian). This approval can take around 5 working days. If you collect from the University, a Responsible Adult is not required.
- If you are studying in Dumfries, BRPs cannot be collected from the Dumfries campus or from any Post Office in Dumfries. If you enter the ACL code into your visa application, you will need to collect from the University's Main Campus. If collecting from the Post Office, currently the nearest one that offers BRP collection is in Carlisle.
Collecting your BRP from the Post Office
If you did not enter the University's ACL code into your visa application form, you will need to collect from the Post Office (your decision letter will specify the correct Post Office branch, based on the residential address you entered into your visa application form). Remember to bring your passport and Decision Letter when collecting. You must collect your BRP prior to completing Visa Registration.
Tier 4 visas (applied for from outside the UK) lasting 6 months or less
You will not receive a BRP. Your entire visa duration and conditions should be printed as a vignette inside your passport.
If you applied for your visa inside the UK
You do not need to collect a BRP. It will be sent by courier to the address you entered on your application form.