Assignment: Marking Workflow
Download the PDF guide for - Assignment: Marking workflow
Moodle Assignment is an activity which allows students to submit electronic copies of their assignments to Moodle. Moodle Assignment accepts any file type. PDFs are also able to be annotated within Moodle Assignment.
Marking workflow allows markers to specify the stage they are at in their grading of individual assignments and to control the release of grades to individual students and/or whole cohorts of students.
- In the Moodle Course in which you have set up your assignment, click on the Gear icon on the right hand side of the course, and click Edit Settings.
- Click to expand the Grade section, then set Use marking workflow to yes.
- When you are happy with the settings, click Save and display to return to the activity.
When students have submitted their assignments, you can use marking workflow to hide grades from students until you are ready to release them.
- In the Moodle Course in which you have set up the Assignment, click on the link to the activity then click to View/grade all submissions.
- Select all or some of the submissions
- In the drop down box With selected select Set marking workflow state and then click Go.
- Click OK to the pop up window. You can now use Marking Workflow to control when your students can access their grades and feedback.
The full list of possible actions is:
- Not marked (the marker has not yet started)
- In marking (the marker has started but not yet finished)
- Marking completed (the marker has finished but might need to go back for checking/corrections)
- In review (the marking is now with the teacher in charge for quality checking)
- Ready for release (the teacher in charge is satisfied with the marking but wait before giving students access to the marking)
- Released (the student can access the grades/feedback)
It is not necessary to use all of these stages, but you may if you wish.
Access your Assignment as above to reach the Marking workflow state drop down box. Select Released to make the grades visible to students.
Students will now be able to see their grades and feedback when they access the Assignment activity.
This Moodle guide was created by LEADS and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.