HNC Articulation Programmes
The University of Glasgow has set up new Articulation Programmes, in partnership with local Colleges, that will allow students on bespoke HNCs to articulate directly into Year 2 of certain undergraduate degree programmes within the University’s School of Life Sciences, School of Engineering, School of Social & Political Sciences and School of Humanities.
Students on these Articulation Programmes will complete their HNC in College, with additional sessions run on the University’s main Gilmorehill Campus throughout the academic year. Students will be enrolled as University of Glasgow students for the duration of their HNC, with access to the University Library, a University of Glasgow student card, email account, and other associated privileges.
These Articulation Programmes are Widening Participation initiatives, and to be eligible applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Be Scottish Domiciled, residing in an SIMD decile 1-4 postcode area (applicants can check their eligibility on the University of Glasgow’s postcode checker)
- Be care-experienced
- Be estranged and living without family support
- Have caring responsibilities
- Have Refugee or Asylum Seeker status
How to apply
Applications for the Widening Participation HNC Articulation Programmes are made directly through the relevant Colleges (see links below, listed by UofG subject areas). The College webpages also provide information on the specific entry requirements for their HNCs.
For further information on the Widening Participation eligibility criteria, please contact the University of Glasgow’s Articulation Officer, Dan Keenan: email@example.com.
Articulation to Year 2 is also possible for the Health and Social Sector Leadership degree programme at our Dumfries Campus. Completion of a relevant HNC and a bridging programme on the Dumfries Campus is required for Year 2 entry. This route is open to all applicants. Please see relevant tab below for further information.
Life Sciences (BSci)
HNC Articulation Programmes have been set up at the following Colleges, to provide successful students with direct entry to various BSci degrees within the University of Glasgow’s School of Life Sciences.
- Glasgow Kelvin College (Springburn): HNC Applied Science (University of Glasgow)
- West College Scotland (Greenock): HNC Applied Science with University of Glasgow
- Glasgow Clyde College (Cardonald): HNC Applied Sciences (with the University of Glasgow)
- Ayrshire College (Kilwinning): HNC Applied Science (with the University of Glasgow)
- South Lanarkshire College (East Kilbride): HNC Applied Science
Arts MA & Social Sciences MA (SocSci)
HNC Social Sciences Articulation Programmes have been set up in partnership with the following Colleges:
- Glasgow Clyde College (Langside): HNC Social Science (with the University of Glasgow)
- West College Scotland (Paisley): HNC Social Science (with the University of Glasgow)
These programmes provide direct Yr2 entry pathways to the following University of Glasgow undegraduate degrees: Central & East European Studies, Economic & Social History, History, Philosophy, Politics, International Relations, Social & Public Policy and Sociology. Students can choose a range of Single or Joint Honours options from the subjects above, and many of the degrees can also be studied ‘with Quantitative Methods’.
N.B. these Articulation Programmes do not provide a route into University of Glasgow degrees in Psychology.
HNC Articulation Programmes have been set up at the following Colleges, to provide successful students with direct entry to the following BEng degrees within the University of Glasgow’s James Watt School of Engineering: Aeronautical Engineering, Aerospace Systems, Biomedical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Design Engineering, Mechanical Engineering with Aeronautics, and Mechatronics.
- City of Glasgow College (Riverside): HNC Mechanical Engineering (University of Glasgow)
- Glasgow Kelvin College (Springburn): HNC Mechanical Engineering (University of Glasgow)
- Ayrshire College (Kilmarnock): HNC Mechanical Engineering (University of Glasgow)
Health & Social Sector Leadership (MA) Dumfries
Any HNC Social Care or HNC Social Sciences student can also apply for entry directly into the second year of the Health & Social Sector Leadership degree taught at our Dumfries Campus. N.B. the Widening Participation eligibility criteria noted above do not apply to this particular articulation opportunity.
How does it work?
Apply for direct entry into year 2 of the Health & Social Sector Leadership MA through UCAS. If you pass your HNC with an A in the graded unit and complete a short bridging course in September, you will be eligible for entry into the second year of the degree. We also encourage HNC applicants to consider our Summer School for Access.
Associate Student Scheme
An Associate Student Scheme is available to students from Scotland’s colleges who are considering this degree programme in Dumfries. Membership is free during your HNC year and will help you to make a smooth transition to university-level study. You will have access to special events, guidance, online learning resources and taster lectures to help ease you into university-level study.
For further information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.