Members of the department are involved in a variety of activities with schools including:
- Work Experience Week
- Support for Advanced Higher Physics
- Multimedia presentations on astrophysics
- The Glasgow Particle Physics Schools Masterclass
- RSE Schools' Lectures
- Physics update workshops
- Physics teachers summer school
Details of all these are to be found below
Advanced Higher Project Support
We Offer the following support for Advanced Higher Physics projects:
- advice on possible experiments to develop or complete a project
- school visits to help pupils plan their projects using their school's resources
- access for school students to enhancement experiments available in our labs
- advice on the treatment of uncertainties
- possible help to understand “unexpected” results or systematic errors
The support is provided by former physics teachers Colin Butler and Peter Law.
Access to our enhancement experiments starts in October.
To avoid disappointment schools should make all requests for visits before the end of December. This gives us time to accommodate requests before mid-March.
For all enquiries contact Peter Law
Multimedia Presentations on Astrophysics
We can offer multimedia talks describing some of the hottest research topics in astrophysics today - all linked to the physics taught in the school curriculum. Topics covered include:
- Newton's laws and the rockets of the future
- Understanding how stars and planets form
- Atomic spectra and the search for ETs
- The Big Bang and the runaway Universe
- Einstein's relativity, black holes and space warps
The Glasgow Particle Physics Schools Masterclass
The School of Physics and Astronomy holds an annual day-long particle physics masterclass for physics students coming to the end of 5th year of Secondary School; see here for more details.
RSE Schools' Lectures
Members of our School are involved in the Royal Society of Edinburgh's schools' lectures. The speakers visit secondary schools in Scotland, talking on topics such as
- Colder than Cold,
- Big Bang Science,
- Black Holes and White Rabbits, and
To arrange a talk for your school contact Conor Hull of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
Physics Update Workshops
Our School runs occasional 'Physics Update Workshops' for teachers. These workshops inform of forefront research areas in Physics in a manner that is accessible and may provide useful background material for teaching of Advanced Higher Physics. In recent years topics have included Gravitational Waves (effects of gravity), Magnetic fields on the Sun and Semiconductor Nanotechnology.
To be included in the mailing list for the next workshop please send your name and school affiliation to Lucy Murray.
Saturday Masterclasses for Tomorrow's Scientists
- How to be a Particle Physicist,
- How to be a Bridge Designer,
- How to be an Astronomer,
- How to be a Rocket Scientist, and
- Physics of Flight.
Physics Teachers' Summer School
For the past few years we have assisted in running a 5-day summer school for Physics Teachers within Scotland (at different locations). Typically with attendance of 25-35, these weeks have included laboratory updates, industrial visits, and keynote speakers. Supported by the IoP, they are excellent opportunities to meet teachers throughout Scotland, exchange ideas and discuss future options.