Study with Us
The Glasgow Particle Physics Experiment (PPE) group has a strong record of research and leadership at particle collider experiments, and we currently host more than twenty postgraduate students.
Our students have gone onto successful careers around the globe in academia and research, as well as finance, IT and media.
What are our research areas?
- analysing data from the ATLAS and LHCb experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC);
- leading future upgrades to the LHC experiments;
- design studies for a future neutrino factory and a future linear collider;
- novel semi-conductor detector technologies for applications in particle physics and beyond;
- collaborating with theorists on novel measurements, and LHC data-reinterpretation;
- and building e-science and grid computing facilities.
Who can apply?
We welcome applications for postgraduate studentships in all of the above research areas. We have PhD positions available for both UK-based and Non-UK applicants, through various funding schemes. We also welcome applications from candidates with external funding.
What funding is available?
Our studentships are funded by a range of sources. In 2022 we expect to award at least 3 STFC/Royal Society-funded studentships, with the potential also for ScotDIST Centre for Doctoral Training in Data-Intensive Science studentships, and EPSRC/CASE studentships in detector development. For more information on projects offered for a 2022 start, see Current PhD Projects.
Our regular funded studentships are on offer for UK students and for EU students with pre-settled or settled status in the UK; see the STFC documentation). All these studentships cover tuition fees and provide a tax-free stipend. It may be possible to offer one to an international student.
In addition, prestigious SUPA Prize Studentships and Glasgow University Scholarships, both of which cover fees and provide a stipend, are available to students of all nationalities, and the Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland offer Carnegie-Caledonian PhD Scholarships.