Members of staff, PhD candidates and MPhil students carry out research into textile degradation, new materials in textile conservation and aspects of textile conservation practice.
We have strong links and joint projects with staff in other areas of the University including chemistry, engineering, history and archaeology, The Hunterian and the University Archives, as well as Glasgow Museums and other museums and universities across Scotland, the rest of the UK and internationally.
We are particularly interested in the following research areas:
- textile dyes
- painted textiles
- tapestry degradation and treatments
- modern materials and synthetic fibres
- the history of science and material production
- public engagement with textile conservation
- the impact of context on treatments