MPhil in Textile Conservation Dissertation Abstracts
Dissertations are available from Enlighten: Dissertations.
Click on ‘Search Repository’ and enter ‘Textile Conservation’ as a search term to bring up a full list of dissertations. Note that electronic copies are not available until one year from the date of submission. Please note that certain images, etc. may have been removed from the electronic version of the dissertation to meet copyright restrictions.
Please bear in mind that the dissertations were submitted as assignments, as part of the MPhil Textile Conservation programme.
The complete hard copy of the dissertation may be consulted at the Centre for Textile Conservation, University of Glasgow. Please contact Karen Thompson (email@example.com).
You can also read the abstracts for all the dissertations listed below:
MPhil Textile Conservation Dissertation Abstracts 2010-17 (Word document, 74 KB)
(These dissertations will be available online from September 2018.)
- Antonowicz-Behnan, Ruby: A Preliminary Investigation into the Use of Wet Cleaning Treatments for the Conservation of Pacific Island Barkcloth
- Knight, Elizabeth: An Investigation of Alternative Reducing Agents to Sodium Dithionite for Solubilising Rust Stains on Cotton
- Macken, Aisling: A preliminary investigation into the effect of solvent vapour on ingrained textile soiling.
- Miller, Keira, Lauren Ahmed: Materials Maketh the Mannequin: An Investigation into the Material Properties of Papier-Mâché Torsos for Conservation Mounting
- Nuttall, Rosie: A Sticky Subject: An Evaluation of Past Adhesive Treatments on 19th Century Costume
- O’Daly, Bevan: Exploring Supplementary Methods for the Conservation of Lace
- Rowley, Lorna: Characterisation of previous repair techniques on painted banners and evaluation of the different approaches to remediate them
- Prelle Ros de Souza, Cristina: Pattern Books: A textile and paper affair
- Amundson, Annika: Hook and loop fasteners: An examination of their use in textile conservation and the degradation of their component materials
- Frankel, Nora: An investigation into the use of Candida rugose Lipase for removal of aged oils from cotton textile
- Gabbutt, Freya: How can conservation provide better access to the Burrell Collection’s Hutton Castle Rooms?
- Hunter, Michelle: Let there be light? An investigation into the fading characteristics of the early synthetic dye magenta
- Perkins, Harriet: Contextualising sooty soiling significance by fuel source for textile conservation
- Picard, Caitlyn: Investigating the use of additives with Lanaset® dyes for localized colour application (not currently available online)
- Sutherland, Hannah: “Each to their own?” An investigation into the effect of spacing on laid-thread couching as used in textile conservation
- Vickers, Hannah: A comparison of methods of supporting areas of loss in knitted textiles
- Clive-Powell, Kate: Can textile conservation inform textile art?
- Kinti, Maria: An experimental methodology for studying the penetration of adhesives into painted textiles with fluorescent labelling and cross-sections: A case study in thangka painting samples
- Majors, Gennifer: Sublime applications: Creating an efficient cyclododecane barrier on textiles
- Robinson, Jamie Isabelle: Is the icon as exhibit changing the face of conservation? A comparative study into factors affecting textile conservation decisions in two recent blockbuster costume exhibitions
- Sim, Geraldine: Rehousing proposal for the Papa Stour archaeological textile collection from the Shetland Museum and Archives: issues and proposal
- Voss, Cecilia: Developing collaborative approaches to preventive and interventive conservation in the collecting and care of costumes at Scottish Opera
- Wain, Fiona: An investigation into the effectiveness of using a pH buffer in wet cleaning historical textiles
- Austin, Emily: Contemporary fashion collections within museums and the role of the conservator
- Bolin, Melissa: An investigation into the use of fabric paints for support fabrics in textile conservation
- Chamberlin, Rosie: An investigation into whether the compressive forces exerted on a textile artefact suspended in a magnetic display system cause damage to the object’s fibres and/or weave
- Grabowska, Maria Katarzyna: Well-worn issue: Conservation of ecclesiastical textiles while still in use, on examples from Poland and the United Kingdom
- Sato, Moe: An experimental evaluation of non-ionic surfactant Dehypon® LS54
- Schmitt, Emma A: An examination of the working properties of Agarose gels for textile conservation
- Young, Alice: Interpretive displays: Investigating aspects of conservation and access of furnishing textiles within historic interiors
- Beasley, Jennifer: A Hidden Agenda: An Investigation into a Concealed Hat. What is the most suitable method for documentation and conservation?
- Benson, Sarah Jane: ʻLike with likeʼ: A comparison of natural and synthetic stitching threads used in textile conservation
- Blair, Kate: The consolidation of mud-silk and painted three-dimensional textiles
- Gardner, Stella: Wet cleaning synthetic fibres: A preliminary investigation into the effects of conservation detergents on soiled synthetic test fabrics
- Lanceley, Zoë: The use of nylon net in textile conservation
- Lucero Juez, Francisca Alejandra: Working with limited resources: Improving storage conditions for archaeological textiles of University of Concepción
- Meller, Nora: A preliminary investigation into the characterisation of sooty soilings on historic textiles
- Oh, Michelle: Investigating the uses of freezing, anoxia and heat treatment as pest treatments, and their physical effects on textiles
- Benner, Julie: Investigating the potential of decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5) as an alternative solvent for textile conservation cleaning
- Chard, Nikki: An investigation into the use of the chelating agent tri-sodium citrate in Laponite and methylcellulose gel formulations for the removal of metallic staining
- Connolly, Danielle: The textile conservator’s role in the conservation of contemporary textile-based art
- Cook, Brenna: Cut construction and conservation: ethical issues with the highly interventive treatment of costume
- Farmer, Beatrice: Friendly fungicides: testing fungicides containing tea tree oil (melaleuca alternifolia) to determine their safety for use on historic cellulosic textiles
- Gamper, Charlotte: Viscose rayon- an absorbing problem: An investigation into the impact conservation wet cleaning treatment has on historic woven viscose rayon fabrics; with a supplementary analysis of current techniques for identifying man-made fibres
- Rimmington, Hayley: A review of conservation public engagement events: the development of the communicative textile conservator