Deep End Pioneer Scheme
Deep End Pioneer Scheme
Applications are invited for an exciting career opportunity for early career GPs.
The Deep End Pioneer Project is still open to applications for a further FOUR GP Fellows for Year 3 of the project, starting early 2019.
The posts are ideally 7 sessions per week, salaried for one year, but 3 session and 5 session posts are also available.
ALL POSTS include 1 session of protected time per week, for professional and service development.
The project is supported by the Scottish Government GP Recruitment and Retention Fund. The scheme has already been running successfully from 2016 to 2018. The aim is to RECRUIT new GP talent into deprived areas of Glasgow, and to RETAIN senior GP partners already working in these practices.
There are two parts of the projects:
- additional capacity and releasing experienced GPs, and
- academic programme to enhance knowledge and skills for GPs working in deprived areas.
Here is the link to a short video the current fellows made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsasNTEwHo4
About the scheme
The Deep End GP Pioneer Scheme aims to support recruitment and retention of both early career and experienced general practitioners working in very deprived areas (the Deep End)
The overall aim of the proposal is to develop and establish a change model for general practices serving very deprived areas, involving the recruitment of younger GPs, the retention of experienced GPs and their joint engagement in strengthening the role of general practice as the natural hub of local health systems.
Day release programme
Overview of day release programme
Summaries of day release sessions
- Unworried well (15 Aug 2018)
- Psychologically Informed Environments (PIE) training (01 Aug 2018)
- Chronic pain (04 Jul 2018)
- Sexual health (13 Jun 2018)
- Care of the elderly (09 May 2018)
- Educational psychology (21 Mar 2018)
- Obesity in the Deep End (07 Mar 2018)
- Working with others (14 Feb 2018)
- Prisoner health (17 Jan 2018)
- FGM (20 Dec 2017)
- Glasgow Asylum Destitution Action Network (06 Dec 2017)
- LGBT health inequalities (15 Nov 2017)
- Social model of disability (25 Oct 2017)
- Addictions in older adults (27 Sep 2017)
- Adult support and protection (13 Sep 2017)
- QI tools for GP leadership (23 Aug 2017)
- Child protection in the Deep End (02 Aug 2017)
- Freedom from torture (19 Jul 2017)
- Personality disorder (05 Jul 2017)
- Living with poverty (14 Jun 2017)
- Chronic pain, trauma and shame (24 May 2017)
- Asylum Health Bridging Team (10 May 2017)
- Palliative care in the Deep End (26 Apr 2017)
- Multiple exclusion/complex consultations (29 Mar 2017)
- Complex consultations and trauma (15 Mar 2017)
- Learning from the Links Worker Programme (01 Mar 2017)
- Financial inclusion (15 Feb 2017)
- Violence reduction and domestic violence (01 Feb 2017)
- Govan SHIP (18 Jan 2017)
- Pioneer Scheme Report 1 (June to October 2016)
Related documents and publications
- GP working conditions improved by deprived area pilot programme Article in Pulse, May 2017