The Masters in Product Design Engineering, taught in collaboration with the School of Design, Glasgow School of Art will develop your ability to design products with significant engineering content, address user needs, and optimise solutions for specific markets.
- Contact: Craig Whittet email@example.com
- September start
- MSc: 12 months full-time
Why this programme
- This exciting programme will enable you to benefit from the combined resources and complementary expertise of staff of two top ranking Scottish institutions, University of Glasgow and Glasgow School of Art.
- Studio-based, student-centered learning based around design project activities. Students have access to state-of-the-art product design engineering prototyping and manufacturing processes in the PDE workshops at GSA and University of Glasgow.
- There are increasing pressures, from both existing and emerging world marketplaces, for products which not only respond to the needs of function, user and society, but which can be brought to market ever more rapidly through state-of-the-art development and manufacturing processes. Industries which develop, manufacture and market today's products need high-caliber graduates equipped to handle these processes with management skill and creative drive, and this programme develops graduates with these skills.
- The studio programme explores cultural, management, perceptual, process and psychological issues, offering a curriculum relevant to the needs of industry and an understanding of the role of the design engineer in society.
- The MSc Product Design Engineering is accredited in the “Further Learning” category accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) and the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED). This means that a student with an accredited BEng undergraduate degree can take the accredited "Further Learning" MSc to top-up their academic qualifications in order to meet the full academic requirements for conferral of the title of Chartered Engineer. This is an alternative route to the 5-year undergraduate MEng route.
- The University of Glasgow has been delivering world-class engineering education and research since 1840.
You will attend lectures, seminars and tutorials and take part in lab, project, team and studio work, industrial visits, and workshops.
- Advanced manufacture
- Core research skills for postgraduates
- Human factors
- Integrated engineering design
- Micro-electronics in consumer products
- Product design engineering introduction project
- MSc project.
- Instrumentation and data systems
- Software engineering
- The Glasgow School of Art elective (you will choose from a list of options).
Programme alteration or discontinuation
The University of Glasgow endeavours to run all programmes as advertised. In exceptional circumstances, however, the University may withdraw or alter a programme. For more information, please see: Student contract.
Career opportunities include product research and development, system design, product manufacture and engineering design. The programme aims to provide opportunities to work on live projects with industry: this can lead to employment opportunities. Examples of companies that employ our Product Design Engineering graduates are Apple, DELL, Dyson, Jaguar-Land Rover, TomTom and Smart.
Fees and funding
Tuition fees for 2019-20
Fees available from the Glasgow School of Art.
Fee information is subject to change and is for guidance only
- Fee for re-assessment of a dissertation (PGT programme): £360
- Submission of thesis after deadline lapsed: £320
- Registration/exam only fee: £150
UoG SIT Alumni Scholarship
Eligible University of Glasgow students of the collaborative programmes in partnership with Singapore Institute of Technology will be awarded a scholarship, in the form of a tuition fee discount, to study an MSc within the College of Science and Engineering at the University of Glasgow’s home campus.
Students with a First-Class Honours BSc or BEng degree will be awarded a UoG-SIT Scholarship of £3500 (S$7,000*).
Students with an Upper Second-Class Honours BSc or BEng degree will be awarded a UoG-SIT Scholarship of £2500 (S$5,000*).
* Values in S$ subject to change depending on exchange rate at the date of payment.More Information
College of Science and Engineering Graduate School
The College of Sciences and Engineering Graduate School offers a range of scholarships and funding opportunities each year.More Information
College of Science and Engineering Deans' Award
The College of Science and Engineering is offering ten scholarships worth £10,000 each towards tuition fees for academically excellent students wishing to study an Undergraduate or Postgraduate Taught programme within the College’s programme portfolio.More Information
University of Glasgow/Glasgow International College Achievement Award
In conjunction with GIC we are pleased to reward our best-performing students who finish the Foundation or Pre-masters course with excellent grades and attendance. This is awarded as a one off tuition fee discount of £3,000More Information
University of Glasgow Chancellors Award
The University of Glasgow has a total of 20 Chancellors Awards available. The Award is available to students entering any of the University’s Colleges and are awarded as a tuition fee discount.More Information
University International Leadership Scholarship
The University of Glasgow has 20 International Leadership Scholarships available to international (non-EU) students starting a postgraduate taught Masters programme in any discipline in September. The scholarship is awarded as a tuition fees discount.
University of Glasgow African Excellence Fee Waiver
For September 2019 academic session we are offering 10 scholarship worth the full tuition fee of a one year Masters programme to to academically excellent students from Africa.
If you study here you will benefit from our extensive knowledge, state-of-the-art facilities and pioneering teaching methods. Studying at Glasgow will prepare you for a wide variety of careers that are in demand internationally and also for future research and study.More Information
African Excellence Scholarship (UKEAS)
The University of Glasgow is offering 1 exclusive scholarship to students from either Nigeria or Ghana who have been supported in their application by our representative UKEAS. The scholarship is available to students entering any of the University’s Colleges to undertake a one year Masters programme.More Information
Postgraduate Talent Scholarships
The University of Glasgow awards Postgraduate Talent Scholarships each academic year to support students who could face financial difficulties in taking up their place to study at the University. The value of each scholarship is £2,000 and they are for students undertaking a one or two year Taught Masters programme, in any of the University’s Colleges. For two year Taught Masters programmes, the scholarship is available in year one only.More Information
African Excellence Scholarship (Uniserv)
The University of Glasgow is offering 1 exclusive scholarship to students from either Kenya, Tanzania or Uganda who have been supported in their application by our representative in these countries – Uniserv Ltd. The scholarship is available to students entering any of the University’s Colleges to undertake a one year Masters programme.More Information
PGT Excellence Scholarship
The University of Glasgow has a total of 28 PGT Excellence Awards available to UK and EU Students. Scholarships are available to students entering any of the University’s colleges and are awarded as a tuition fee discount.More Information
Glasgow Kerala Scholarship
Following the severe floods which impacted the Indian state of Kerala, the University of Glasgow is offering 4 exclusive scholarships to students from this area and who are facing challenges in progressing onto postgraduate education. The scholarship is available to students entering any of the University’s Colleges to undertake a one year Masters programme in 2019-2020.More Information
The University offers a 10% discount on all Postgraduate Research and full Postgraduate Taught Masters programmes to its alumni. This includes University of Glasgow graduates and those who have completed a Study Abroad programme or the Erasmus Programme at the University of Glasgow. The discount applies to all full-time, part-time and online programmes.More Information
Master's Loan England only
If you’re starting a master’s degree, you could get a Postgraduate Master’s Loan of up to £10,609 to help with course fees and living costs. You have to repay your Postgraduate Master’s Loan at the same time as any other student loans you have. You’ll be charged interest from the day you get the first payment.
If you’re studying by distance learning, you can also apply.
Examples of postgraduate master’s qualifications include:
- MSc (Master of Science)
- MA (Master of Arts)
- MPhil (Master of Philosophy)
- MRes (Master of Research)
- LLM (Master of Law)
- MLitt (Master of Letters)
- MFA (Master of Fine Art)
- MEd (Master of Education)
- MBA (Master of Business Administration)
If you plan to study for Master of Architecture (MArch) or an Integrated Master’s qualification, you should apply for undergraduate supportMore Information
The scholarships above are specific to this programme. For more funding opportunities search the scholarships database
Entry requirements are normally a 2.2 Honours degree or equivalent (eg GPA of 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject area (product design engineering, mechanical engineering, electronic and electrical engineering being of particular relevance) or equivalent professional practice. Depending on your previous experience and qualifications you may be asked to complete a design engineering assignment as part of your application.
English language requirements
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training)
- overall score 6.5
- no sub-test less than 6.0
- or equivalent scores in another recognised qualification:
Common equivalent English language qualifications
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- ibTOEFL: 90; no sub-test less than:
- Reading: 20
- Listening: 19
- Speaking: 19
- Writing: 23
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English, Academic test): 60; no sub-test less than 59
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII at Distinction with Distinction in all sub-tests
For international students, the Home Office has confirmed that the University can choose to use these tests to make its own assessment of English language ability for visa applications to degree level programmes. The University is also able to accept an IELTS test (Academic module) from any of the 1000 IELTS test centres from around the world and we do not require a specific UKVI IELTS test for degree level programmes. We therefore still accept any of the English tests listed for admission to this programme.
The University of Glasgow accepts evidence of the required language level from the English for Academic Study Unit Pre-sessional courses. We also consider other BALEAP accredited pre-sessional courses:
- School of Modern Languages and Cultures: English for Academic Study
- BALEAP guide to accredited courses
What do I do if...
my language qualifications are below the requirements?
The University's English for Academic Study Unit offers a range of Pre-Sessional Courses to bring you up to entry level. The course is accredited by BALEAP, the UK professional association for academic English teaching; see Links.
my language qualifications are not listed here?
Please contact the Recruitment and International Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about English language requirements, please contact the Recruitment and International Office: email@example.com
We are proud of our diverse University community which attracts students and staff from over 140 different countries. Find out more about visa requirements, and the support we offer: