How to apply for a taught degree
Before starting your application we strongly recommend that you consult this site including the:
- Postgraduate admissions policy
- Frequently asked questions
- Appropriate programme page(s) on the Postgraduate taught degree programmes A-Z.
- Any relevant information for prospective postgraduate students on the appropriate Graduate School webpages.
Documents you need to apply
To apply for a postgraduate taught programme, you need to provide:
- A final or current undergraduate degree transcript (and an official translation) - scanned copy in colour of the original document
- Degree certificate (and an official translation) if you have already completed your degree - scanned copy in colour of the original document
- One reference on headed paper (applicants to Doctorate in Education must provide two references)
- Any additional document specifically listed under 'Entry requirements' on the Postgraduate Taught degree programmes A-Z
- Copy of your passport (photopage) - non-EU applicants only
If English is not your first language, you will be required to provide a language test before you can start your studies.
Access to the Application Form
The Online Application Form is accessed by clicking ‘Apply Now’ on our individual course web pages. You can use our Course Finder to find the page of the course you wish to apply to. If you are making multiple applications, this needs to be done for each application. The first time you create an online application you log in using your email address and create a password at this stage.
Both academic and English language requirements (if English is not your first language) for specific programmes are listed on the Postgraduate Taught degree programmes A-Z.
Providing the references
To complete your application we will need one reference.
There are two options for you to submit your reference as part of your application. You can upload a document as part of your application or you can enter in your referee’s contact details and we will contact them to request a reference.
Option 1 – Uploading as part of the application form
Your reference should be on official headed paper. This should also be signed by the referee. You can then upload this via the Online Application form with the rest your documents to complete the application process.
Please be aware that documents must not exceed 5MB in size and therefore you may have to upload your documents separately. The online system allow you to upload supporting documents only in PDF format. For a free PDF writer go to www.pdfforge.org.
Option 2 – Entering contact details as part of the application form
If you enter your referee’s contact details including email on the application form we will email them requesting they submit a reference once you have submitted the application form. When the referee responds and sends a reference you will be sent an email to confirm the university has received this.
After submitting your application form
You must submit details of one reference during your application form. If you need to submit another reference after you have submitted your application form (for example your referee is now unable to provide you with a reference) you must do this through the Applicant Self Service uploading documents function.
If after you have submitted your application you required to upload a new reference and your referees would prefer to provide confidential references direct to the University then we can also accept the reference by email, from the referee’s official university or business email account to email@example.com. We will then add these to your application.
Please note that there are two steps to the online application:
- Step 1: Register and complete an application and any other subsequent applications.
- Step 2:Once you have completed an application then you can access Applicant Self Service through the Online Application to:
- check the status of your application
- upload any additional documents
- update your personal details
- accept any offers you receive
If you have difficulties logging into the Online Application, please see Application Troubleshooting/FAQs.
Application deadlines for each specific programme are available in the .
For any general enquiries about Postgraduate Taught Degrees: Enquire online