Assessment Criteria for a Funding Scheme
The assessment criteria may vary according to the type of funding scheme and funding agency you are applying through. Generally, the reviewers assess the proposal on three main criteria:
- importance of the proposed research in the larger context of the research area and within the remit of the funding body
- likelihood of a good scientific outcome, and
- resources requested
Additional assessment criteria may include the potential socio-economic impact, the methodology used, ethical issues addressed and the data sharing and management plan.
** We recommend that you carefully read the criteria of the funding call, and check the strategic objectives and remit of the funding agency before planning a submission. **
Remit of Research Funded by UKRI
A brief outline of the areas of research funded by UKRI under each subject discipline and the strategic plan of each Council can be found on the UKRI’s Areas of Research web page.
If you are unsure about your research proposal falling within the remit of funding body, please contact the funders with a short outline of your proposal. Below are the contact addresses for remit enquires for schemes funded by the RCUK.
- Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC) - email@example.com
- Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) - email@example.com
- Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Medical Research Council (MRC) - RFPD@Headoffice.mrc.ac.uk
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) - email@example.com
- Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) - Remitquery@stfc.ac.uk
Remit of Funder Panels
The funder's website will have information on the remit of funder panels. For information on staff members who are members of Grant Funding Panels or strategic committees, please click on the relevant College.
- College of Arts: College Research Support Office
- College of MVLS: Wellcome Trust Institutional Stategies Support Fund (ISSF)
- College of Science and Engineering: Strategic Appointments
- College of Social Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org