GU Men's Football Club
Men's Football Club
Glasgow University Men's Football Club is one of the most competitive and successful sports clubs at the University of Glasgow.
Within the club there are four different squads – Under 21s, 3rd Team, 2nd Team and 1st Team – who all compete to a high level in Saturday football. As a founding member of the SFA, the 1st Team also compete each year in the William Hill Scottish Cup as well as the West of Scotland Football League.In addition to this, the club puts forward three squads to compete in the top three divisions of the British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) leagues, where they play against other Universities from around the UK. The 2018-2019 season saw our 1st Team win 1A, our 2nd Team win 3A and our 3rd Team win 4A – a clean sweep which hasn't been done previously.
At the GUFC we pride ourselves on our professional approach to football, and all players are fully committed to furthering the success of the club.
Training takes place twice a week at Garscube Sports Complex. The 1s, 2s and 3s play BUCS on a Wednesday; all four teams also play on a Saturday.
- See the Club Sport Training Timetable for training times
2023-24 will see the introduction of GUFC's inaugural Academy Programme – 10 players, selected based on their footballing ability, will be welcomed to become members of the Academy.
Being a part of this Academy comes with many benefits, the first being the opportunity to play in the Scottish Football Senior League Pyramid while obtaining a Degree. Other benefits include three training sessions per week, weekly Strength & Conditioning, Sports Science Support and access to Sports Physiotherapy Support.
The Academy will also provide complimentary membership of UofG Sport facilities and Sports Association, which includes access to first-class football and gym facilities.
If you are offered the chance to join the Academy, the onus is on you to meet the player conditions, these include:
- Players must be available for pre-season training and matches from 1st July (negotiable for foreign students)
- Players must be part of, or be in the process of applying for, a degree course at the University of Glasgow
- Player holidays and absence must be agreed in advance with Club Head Coach
- Players must present a strong football CV on application
- Players must have a professional attitude at all times
To apply to become a member of the GUFC Academy Programme, email your football CV & supporting video footage to:
As well as the performance side of the club, we also run our Development section, which offers a more casual environment to those who'd just like to play or the opportunity to develop your skills if you're new to the sport. As well as being part of Development you're also a part of the club, you'll be welcomed to social events, and you'll also have the opportunity to buy GUFC kit.
Development football offers you the chance to play football at least twice a week; for one of the sessions you’ll get high quality coaching from our 2s and 3s coaches, who are both SFA licensed. In the other session you'll get to play matches for 90 minutes and put your skills to the test.
GUFC run an annual charity six-a-side day called "Diddies" in memory of ex-GUFC player Craig Henderson, where we raise money for the JMA Trust. We have also started running an annual ceilidh along with the Women's Football Club, to raise money for a charity of our choice.
The football club are renowned for their nights out – our socials take place every two weeks and offer a great social aspect where you will meet people from other teams and from other clubs. As well as this, the club has their annual tour to places such as Bulgaria, Greece, Barcelona and Toronto.
If you're looking to maintain a high standard of football during your university career, and have a fantastic time doing it, you need look no further than the GUFC.
We host trials at the start of both semesters, so get along to show us your skills to join one of our teams.
Last updated: March 2023
How to Join
Joining a GU Sports Club is a simple, three-step process:
- Join UofG Sport with one of these three memberships only:
- Student Sport 12-month Full-Access (£170)
- Student Sport Semester Full-Access (£99)
- Student Sport Accommodation 12-month Full-Access (£120)*
- Contact the Club about what membership type you should select (if you're unsure) or if you have any questions
- Use the Club Management Portal to join the Club online
You'll need your UofG Sport Member ID to join a Club. Here's where to find your Member ID.
* Discounted Accommodation membership is only available to students living in UofG Accommodation, and is not available for online purchase – please join at Front Desk at the Stevenson Building.