Medical & health statistics
This webpage provides links to some of the major producers of medical and health statistics.
- International Organisations
- United Kingdom (Including Scotland)
- United States
- Europe (including European Union)
- South America
- Commonwealth (Australia & Canada)
- World Health Report archives 1995 onwards
- WHOSIS (World Health Organization Statistical Service) includes :
- WHO Core Health Indicators database
- WHO Mortality Database - download the detailed files onto your own pc
- Weekly Epidemiological Report - epidemiological information on cases and outbreaks of diseases
- Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals: formally Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) Information System - which includes:
- Oral Health
- WHO Regional Offices:
Unicef Statistics - includes
- Country statistics - Economic and social statistics on the countries and territories of the world, with particular reference to children’s well-being
- Core indicators in depth - series of global databases on key indicators for monitoring the situation of children and women
World Bank Data which include some basic health indicators on developing countries
Global Cardiovascular Database - collaborative effort headed by the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre in the Division of Cardiology at The Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa.
HIV/AIDS Surveillance Database (US Bureau of the Census) includes: Worldwide statistics of HIV seroprevalence in Developing countries
Department of Health - this includes
- Statistics at DH which includes :
- Consultations- which include:
- Community Health Profiles website - Local Authority Health Profiles are designed to show the health of people in local authorities across England
- Health Survey for England
- Overall Patient Experience Scores - information about patients' experience of primary care services (formerly National Survey of NHS Patients)
- Selected Listing of Statistical Titles Produced by Dept. Health available on the web
- Coronary heart disease statistics 1998 onwards - from the British Heart Foundation
- Monthly CJD Statistics
- Limbless Statistics - has replaced National Amputee Statistical Database (NASDAB)
- Infectious Diseases Data – Public Health England: data & information on communicable diseases (inc. HIV and STI)
National Statistics Health & Social Care - statistics about health, health services provided by the National Health Service and social care
Health and Safety Executive Statistics - Statistics on work-related ill-health, injuries, dangerous occurrences, enforcement and gas safety.
Human Fertilisation & Embryology Authority Annual Report which includes IVF and Donor Insemination Data from 1991 - See also: Facts and figures
Statistics in the Scottish Government - Health & Community Care
Scottish Health on the Web: (National Health Service in Scotland): which includes Information and statistics section in the Health Topics section
- Key health topics : including
- Health Protection Scotland- provides data on:
- Blood Borne Viruses and Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Immunisation & Vaccine Preventable Diseases
- Gastrointestinal and Zoonoses
- Environmental Public Health
- Respiratory Infections
- Scottish Public Health Observatory- The collaboration brings together key national organisations involved in public health intelligence in Scotland, led by ISD Scotland and NHS Health Scotland. Information & Data is presented through a series of topics:
- Behaviour - section of the website includes information on a number of behavioural factors known to influence health. These include alcohol, diet and nutrition, drugs, physical activity, sexual health and tobacco use.
- Clinical Risk Factors - The three clinical risk factors included in this section are high blood pressure, high cholesterol and obesity
- Life Circumstances - This part of the web site tries to reflect some of the more influential aspects of life circumstances, with a range of important, and often overlapping, topics. These include: the physical environment (and the related concept of environmental justice); income and economy; deprivation; the social environment and community well-being
- Population Groups - at present this section considers the health of ethnic minorities. Sections on other topics will be added in due course.
- Comparative Health- a brief overview of health inequalities, with particular reference to Scottish data sets and publications and international comparisons - includes:
- Population Dynamics - This part of the web site describes various related aspects of population dynamics - population, deaths and migration
- Health, Wellbeing & Disease - section includes information describing the health status of the Scottish population and at present focuses on the burden of disease from various causes. In the future we plan to add more material on health and well-being.
- Resources - overview of the key data sources for public health information in Scotland
- Faststats - alphabetical list by subject and state/territory of brief descriptive data (e.g. teen births)
- Data Warehouse - extensive links to published and unpublished tables on mortality, births & natality, and Injuries & Violence (WISQARS)
- Publications and Information Products
- Healthfinder: a gateway to consumer health and human services information
- Surveys and Data Collection Systems - links to ongoing annual & periodical surveys
- National Cancer Institute which includes: Cancer Statistics
Demographic & Health Surveys Program (DHS) - includes:
- STATcompiler provides quick facts and country comparisons, allowing users to build customized tables, graphs and maps from hundreds of DHS surveys and indicators.
- HIV/AIDS Survey Indicators Database provides HIV/AIDS data from a variety of sources.
- HIVmapper creates maps from data in the HIV/AIDS Survey Indicators Database.
- HIV Spatial Data Repository for downloading GIS dataset linked with HIV indicators
Other US Sites
Expert Health Data Programming Inc provide links to :
Statistical Resources on the Web: Health - from the University of Michigan Documents Center
- European Health for All Database - data on about 600 health indicators, including basic demographic and socioeconomic indicators; some lifestyle- and environment-related indicators; mortality, morbidity and disability; hospital discharges; and health care resources, utilization and expenditure.
- Mortality indicators by 67 causes of death, age and sex (HFA-MDB) - 2500 mortality-based indicators and allows age- and sex-specific analysis of mortality trends.
- European detailed mortality database (DMDB) - mortality data by three-digit codes of the International Classification of Diseases and five-year age groups.
- European hospital morbidity database (HMDB) - morbidity and hospital activity patterns in countries: contains hospital-discharge data by detailed diagnosis, age and sex
- Centralized information system for infectious diseases - surveillance of communicable diseases – such as tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted infections, and malaria – and data on immunization coverage in countries and recent outbreaks in Europe
- Public Health EU portal - statistics on a variety of health issues
- ECHI (European Core Health Indicators) - list of ‘indicators’ for the public health field arranged according to a conceptual view on health and health determinants Health EU Portal - wide range of information and data on health-related issues and activities at both European and international level.
- Country Health Profiles - health situation analysis of every country of the Region of the Americas
- Health Situation in the Americas: Basic Indicators - 2007 ed [pdf format]
- PAHO Basic Indicator Data Base - collection of 117 indicators for 48 states and territories of the Americas from 1995 to 2007
Statistics Canada Health - Information on the health of the population, determinants of health, and the scope and utilization of Canada’s health services
Staff you can contact: Kirsteen Valenti