Pre-sessional English courses
Our pre-sessional courses are the best way to bring your English up to entry level for university study.
The courses are run by the English for Academic Study (EAS) unit, part of the School of Modern Languages and Cultures at the University.
Our courses give you:
- Direct entry to your university programme for successful students (no need to take IELTS after the pre-sessional course)
- Essential academic skills to help you study effectively at University
- Flexible entry dates so you can join the right course for your level
Who are the pre-sessional courses accredited by?
Our summer pre-sessional course is accredited by BALEAP, the professional association for academic English teaching.
BALEAP guarantees that you will be joining a high quality course.
What are the advantages of the pre-sessional course?
There are many advantages to taking a pre-sessional course at Glasgow:
- You have guaranteed entry to your University of Glasgow academic programme if you pass your pre-sessional course (and if you have no other outstanding conditions for your academic programme).
- You can achieve better results - our Pre-sessional students achieve better results on their academic programmes on average than students who come to UofG through other Pre-sessional courses
- We offer multiple entry dates, so you can join when you are ready
- You will have full access to all University services including library and sports facilities
- We offer small group teaching with regular one-to-one meetings with your tutor to guide you through the course
- You will have the opportunity to experience life as a student on campus in Glasgow and to familiarise yourself with how the University works
Which pre-sessional course should I take?
This depends on your current level of English and the entry requirements for your chosen academic programme.
Please see our Pre-sessional Course webpages for detailed advice specific to your English entry requirements.
What if my scores are slightly below the recommended level for the pre-sessional course?
You can include up to two English Language Test Reports with your application to help us make a decision.
Who is the July entry pre-sessional course for?
Direct entry to this course is intended for students who already have or are very near their required English level, and who need to become familiar with the academic skills and language within their own subject area.
How do I apply for a pre-sessional course?
Please see: applying for the pre-sessional courses.
Which English language tests are valid for pre-sessional course applications?
All applications must be accompanied by a evidence of English language. We accept IELTS, TOEFL and PTE test reports. See our English Test Report Conversion tables for further information.
Applicants who require a visa to study in the UK will need to provide a UKVI approved secure English Language test.
Applicants should be aware that we will refuse their application if we have evidence that a false document has been submitted - even if the false document is not relevant to the application and even if the applicant is unaware that the document is false. A false document includes:
- a genuine document which has been altered or tampered with
- a counterfeit document (one that is completely false)
- a genuine document that is being used by an impostor
- a genuine document which has been fraudulently obtained or issued
- a genuine document which contains a falsified or counterfeit visa / endorsement.
Information about applications refused because of false documentation may be shared by us with other University of Glasgow departments or with UKVI and could jeopardise future applications to study in the UK. If a student has supplied false information they will not be permitted to study at the University of Glasgow indefinitely.