The Fallen (October-December 1917)
Of the 755 University men and women who fell over the course of the War, fifty-six were lost between July and September in 1917. These links will take you to their biographies on the WW1 Roll of Honour section of The University of Glasgow Story website.
28th December 1917
- Lieutenant William Jeffray Johnstone, Fife and Forfar Yeomanry
27th December 1917
- Captain Robert Pattison, "D" Coy. 2nd/10th Bn. London Regiment
- 2nd Lieutenant George Wilson Davidson, 15th Bn. West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales' Own)
26th December 1917
- Surgeon Probationer Roderick Montague Macpherson, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (HMS Narwhale)
22nd December 1917
- Captain James Cook Gray, 11th Bn. Border Regiment
- Colonel Frederick Lansdowne Morrison, 1st/5th Bn. Highland Light Infantry
12th December 1917
- Captain Norman McGaan Smith, Royal Army Medical Corps - 2nd East Anglian Field Ambulance
10th December 1917
- 2nd Lieutenant Daniel David Dunlop Crawford, Royal Engineers attd. 25th Railway Coy. Sappers and Miners, Indian States Forces
- Lieutenant John Crichton Kirkpatrick, 20th Sqdn. Royal Flying Corps
5th December 1917
- 2nd Lieutenant Norman Reid Mitchell, 20th Bn. King's Royal Rifle Corps
2nd December 1917
- Captain James Alexander, "C" Coy. 16th Bn. Highland Light Infantry
- 2nd Lieutenant Gavin Haddow Boyd, 16th Bn. King's Royal Rifle Corps
- Lieutenant John Munro Garlick, 4th Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
- 2nd Lieutenant Robert Hislop Reid, 3rd Bn. Highland Light Infantry
1st December 1917
- 2nd Lieutenant George Dickson Greenlees, 4th Bn. Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)
- 2nd Lieutenant William Laird, 3rd Bn. Coldstream Guards
- 2nd Lieutenant George Alexander Sillars, 5th Bn. Highland Light Infantry
30th November 1917
- Private David Anderson, 157th Coy. Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)
- Captain Allen Grant Douglas, 14th Bn. London Regiment (London Scottish)
- Captain John Ferguson, Royal Army Medical Corps attd. 1st/12th Bn. The King's (Liverpool Regiment)
- Captain James McDonald Matheson, Royal Army Medical Corps attd. 17th Bn. Middlesex Regiment
- Major Wilfred Robert Whitson, Highland Light Infantry attd. 9th Bn. Suffolk Regiment
- Captain Joseph Wilson, 6th Bn. Cameron Highlanders
28th November 1917
- Captain George Hislop, Royal Army Medical Corps Notts and Derby Field Ambulance Brigade.
- Captain - Medical Officer Alexander James Thompson Swann, West African Medical Staff Nigeria.
26th November 1917
- Major James Thomson, Royal Garrison Artillery Commanding 130th Siege Bty. (formerly the 6th Howitzers).
24th November 1917
- Lieutenant Colonel John Blair Cook, 1st/5th Bn. Royal Scots Fusiliers.
23rd November 1917
- Lieutenant Colonel William Kennedy, Highland Light Infantry attd. 18th Bn. Welsh Regiment.
20th November 1917
- 2nd Lieutenant Alfred Saunders Hill, 109th Siege Bty. Royal Garrison Artillery.
19th November 1917
- Captain Claude Boyle May, 6th Bn. Border Regiment.
17th November 1917
- Lieutenant David Raeside Ferguson, 135th Army Troops Coy. Royal Engineers.
- Lieutenant William Wallace, 3rd Bn. attd. 1st Bn. Cameron.
- 2nd Lieutenant James Ritchie Wells, Royal Flying Corps and 1st Bn. Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)
14th November 1917
- Lance Corporal Henry Stirling Watson, 'N' Special Coy. Royal Engineers.
12th November 1917
- Captain Hugh Wallace Mann, 5th Bn. Cameron Highlanders.
8th November 1917
- Major John Alexander Findlay, 1st/5th Bn. Highland Light Infantry.
6th November 1917
- Major George Edward Bell Osborne, Fife and Forfar Yeomanry.
3rd November 1917
- Lieutenant John Towers Neilson, 1st/8th Bn. The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).
27th October 1917
- Lieutenant Randolph Murray, 6th Bn. Cameron Highlanders.
26th October 1917
- 2nd Lieutenant Charles Davidson, 2nd Bn. Gordon Highlanders.
- Captain David Burns Dempster, 3rd Bn. King's Own Scottish Borderers Special Reserve attd. 2nd Bn. Border Regiment.
- Lieutenant Francis William Stuart Teggart, 14th Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders attd. Gordon Highlanders.
24th October 1917
- Lieutenant James Young Craig, 3rd Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders attd. 1st/2nd Bn. King's African Rifles.
22nd October 1917
- 2nd Lieutenant Stuart Gordon Cunningham, 12th Bty. 35th Bde. Royal Field Artillery.
21st October 1917
- Sapper Edward Lawrence Butler, 5th Field Survey Coy. Royal Engineers.
- Private John Loudon Stevens, Army Service Corps attd. 4th Supply Column Australian Division.
16th October 1917
- Captain John Alston, Royal Army Medical Corps 103rd Field Ambulance.
- 2nd Lieutenant James Semple Herd, 52nd Coy. Machine Gun Corps.
13th October 1917
- Lieutenant Andrew Gardyne Young, 1st/6th Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
12th October 1917
- 2nd Lieutenant George Ernest Main, 6th Bn. King’s Own Scottish Borderers.
11th October 1917
- Lieutenant Robert C Nichol, 7th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders.
8th October 1917
- Lieutenant Julius Diamond, 7th Sqdn. Royal Flying Corps and King's Own Scottish Borderers.
7th October 1917
- 2nd Lieutenant George Bennett Black, 11th Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
6th October 1917
- Surgeon Probationer Wesley Cope Holdsworth, Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve H.M S. Begonia.
- Major Andrew William Rogerson, 8th Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
5th October 1917
- 2nd Lieutenant Andrew Yuill Pollock Johnston, 5th Bn. King’s Own Scottish Borderers.
4th October 1917
- Captain Maximillian MacPherson, 3rd Bn. (Spec. Res.) attd. 2nd Bn. Seaforth Highlanders.
- Private William Wilson, 2nd Bn. King's Own Scottish Borderers.
- Lieutenant James McLellan, 3rd Bn. Highland Light Infantry attd. Machine Gun Corps (Infantry).