Apply for a postgraduate research qualification
Find a supervisor
We currently offer a wide range of research opportunities allowing you to undertake in-depth study in a specific area.
You should identify a potential supervisor and contact them to discuss your research proposal before you apply.
Check research oppoortunities for links to research search tools to identify supervisors who share your research interests or to search for research staff by School.
Application submission deadlines
Session 2024-2025 Semester 1 PhD commencement October 2024
- UK applicants - 16 August 2024
- International & EU applicants - 03 June 2024
Session 2024-2025 Semester 2 PhD commencement January 2025
- UK, International & EU applicants - 27 September 2024
Fees and funding
- Postgraduate Research Tuition Fees
- College of Social Sciences Student Funding Opportunities
- Scholarships and Funding
Gather supporting documents
An online application, complete with all supporting documents, is required before an offer for a place on a PhD programme can be considered. Please include the following supporting documentation with your application:
- Two letters of reference: At least one reference must be academic and the other can be academic or professional. Your references should be on official headed paper and signed by the referee. Please see further guidance for submitting references.
- Transcripts and certificates: Final or current degree transcript (and an official translation, if required) - scanned copy in colour of the original document.
- Research Proposal: Please consult the Research proposal guidelines.
- English Language Certificate: Applicants whose first language is not English are required to include evidence of their English Language ability. College of Social Sciences English language requirements for PhD should be a minimum IELTS score of 7.0 with no sub test less than 6.5 or equivalent. You may also find further English for Academic Study information including Pre-Sessional Courses helpful.
Please submit applications via the University of Glasgow Online Application System - How to apply for a research degree