Application FAQs

When can I apply for accommodation?

You may apply for accommodation once you have been notified by one of the University's schools that you have been made an offer for a course of study at the University of Glasgow - whether conditionally or unconditionally and you have accepted that offer.

We open applications in February of each year for entry into accommodation in September. All applicants are advised to submit an application as soon as possible after firmly accepting a course offer but certainly by 22nd August of your intended year of entry which is our Accommodation Guarantee deadline date. All applications are dealt with in the date order in which they are received by Accommodation Services.

Am I guaranteed accommodation?

Generally, if you are studying for the whole academic year in your first year of study, have firmly accepted an unconditional offer, or met the conditions of a conditional offer from the University of Glasgow and have submitted your application for residence before the 22nd August, then you are guaranteed accommodation. Please refer to the University's Admissions Policy for full details.

What happens if I do not have a UCAS Number or Application Code?

Students who do not yet have a UCAS Number or MyCampus number are unable to use the online application system as this code is used to authenticate the student and their academic status.

Can I apply if Glasgow is my Insurance Choice?

No, as we only accept applications for accommodation from students who have indicated that they are definitely coming to study at the University of Glasgow and our accommodation system does not hold student records with an insurance status.

If you eventually decide to come to Glasgow, your study status will be updated to either Unconditional Firm or Conditional Firm and at that stage your student record will be imported into the accommodation system thereby allowing you to apply for accommodation. Please note that it can take up to 72 hours from the time that you firmly accept your offer of study before your record is imported into our accommodation system. Furthermore, you will not be allocated and offered accommodation until your study status becomes Unconditional Firm.

I live within commuting distance of the University, what are my chances of being offered University accommodation?

If you currently live within reasonable commuting distance of the University but would like to live in University halls you can apply for accommodation as soon as you have firmly accepted your offer of study.

Please refer to the University's Admissions Policy for full details.

When will I receive an offer of accommodation?

Our allocations process normally begins in mid-April when we offer out accommodation to those applicants who have firmly accepted an Unconditional Firm course offer.

For students with conditional offers that successfully become unconditional offers, the Allocations Team process these applications shortly after Higher & A Level results are published.

Due to the current situation with Covid-19, all of our offers will be going out slightly later than normal so don't worry if you haven't received your offer straight away. If you have any concerns about your application please contact the Accommodation Office at or on 0141 330 4743.

Can I share with my friends?

If you wish to share with, or be close to friends you must clearly specify this requirement on the online application form in the section Additional Information. The friend(s) you wish to share with should do the same on their application(s).

How are students grouped in shared accommodation?

We take account of age, gender and course in order to place students near to others with similar interests.

Can I request single or mixed sex accommodation?

Should single sex accommodation be requested at application stage, this will be guaranteed. A limited amount of mixed sex accommodation is available. If this is important to you, please provide additional information on the appropriate section of the application.

I am a disabled student will my accommodation needs be met?

We have a wide range of accommodation for students with disabilities. Please state the nature and degree of your disability when applying, to assist us in allocating suitable accommodation. Further information can be found in Accommodation Service's Equality and Accessibility Statement. Support is available in many ways within the University, which can be provided upon request and all disabled students are invited to register with the Student Disability Service as soon as possible.

How long can I stay in my accommodation?

You will sign an agreement for approximately 39 weeks (273 days), which covers both Christmas and Easter holidays. If the academic year of your course exceeds 39 weeks you may be able to extend your contract accordingly, subject to availability.

Further details are available on request from Accommodation Services. You may however need to move to another room and the prevailing rates applicable to the period of stay will be charged.

Should you require accommodation over the summer break, this can be arranged subject to availability, but again you may need to move to another room.

What if I am studying at Glasgow for only part of the full Academic Year e.g. Exchange students?

The policy on allocating places favours those students who are studying for a full University of Glasgow degree. Consequently, students studying for part of the year will only be offered accommodation if there are places available.

If I have a medical condition which will have a bearing on my allocation, will this be taken into account?

Yes; please give details on the online application form and send a separate sheet, substantiated with a medical certificate or letter from your GP where possible, to Accommodation Services.

It is very important that any such condition is declared as early as possible, in order to avoid the most suitable type of allocation becoming full before we are aware of your needs.

Can I view my accommodation before I move in?

Unfortunately, due to Covid-19, we will be unable to offer accommodation viewings prior to arrival. Images of our residences can be found on UofG Accommodation - Flickr and we have 360° tours of Murano Street Student Village and Queen Margaret Residence on YouTube Accommodation Services

I am a later year undergraduate and have not stayed in residence before, will I be offered accommodation?

Please refer to to our Admissions policy for further details.

Does the University make accommodation provision for young people leaving care?

The University recognises that accommodation is particularly important for young people who are looked after or leaving care. At the University of Glasgow, we shall endeavour to offer care leavers 365 day a year accommodation for the duration of their studies.

For more information about what accommodation you may be entitled to, visit the Supporting Care Leavers section of the University website.

Covid-19 Accommodation FAQs

Can I still live in University accommodation if my program starts after September?

Yes, we will hold accommodation for people who have courses starting after September.  In the unlikely event that demand outstrips supply we will put you in touch with one of our private provider partners.

Will I need to pay for University accommodation during quarantine?

If you need to arrive prior to the start of your tenancy date for quarantine reasons you will not be charged any additional rent.

Will I be placed in a flat with other students starting at the same time as me? I’m concerned about arriving and everyone has already made friends.

Yes, in order to ensure cluster flats can be treated as “households” we will be allocating you with people due to arrive at the same time or within a few days of each other depending on travel arrangements.

Will I be charged for accommodation if my contract starts but intake is delayed or if I am not able to travel to the UK due to my country’s travel restrictions

No, if you have a contract for one of the University Residences the contract date will be adjusted in line with your study dates.

I am a Vet student and due to stay in catered accommodation – how will this work if we are social-distancing/quarantined?

All residents will be expected to follow any government guidance that is in place at the time, and appropriate steps will be taken in our working practices to abide with any guidance.

I am experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, what should I do?

If you have symptoms, however mild, you should remain in your accommodation and arrange to be tested at the first possible opportunity by visiting this website: 

You should not leave your accommodation for any reason other than to attend for a test and you should minimise contact with others in your ‘household’. You should notify all other members of your ‘household’ as they will also be required to quarantine for 10 days, unless you subsequently get a negative test result. 

The definition of ‘household’ will depend upon your accommodation but would normally include those students living in the same ‘clusterflat’, or those on the same floor who share cooking or washing facilities, or both. This will have been communicated to you at check-in, but if you are unsure you can contact your residence site team for clarification. The student induction for University of Glasgow residences will also cover protocols for residents around what constitutes a household for the purposes of isolation if required. 

You should notify and the local site reception that you have symptoms and that your household is in isolation - and also let them know your test result.

For more information and updated guidance about self-diagnosing COVID-19, accessing testing, reporting cases and advice on self-isolation you can also visit the University's Symptoms, Testing and Reporting web page.


What would happen if myself or one of my flatmates gets the virus?

Living support and site managers will be able to support you if you are required to self-isolate and will keep in touch with you on a regular basis.   Once you and your flatmates move in together your flat will be deemed to be a household. Please see below current Government advice (updated Monday 14th December):

  • If you live with others, the person who has symptoms should stay at home for 10 days from the day their symptoms started. All other household members should isolate as a household for 10 days even if they don’t have symptoms themselves. The 10-day period starts from the first day the person had symptoms.
  • If others develop symptoms within the 10 days, they need to stay at home for 10 days from the day their symptoms started. They should do this even if it takes them over the 10-day isolation period.

What do I need to do if I am contacted by the Test & Protect Team and informed that I am a close contact of a confirmed case?

You should notify the relevant residence site management team by email and then follow the guidance given to you by the Test & Protect Team, remaining in your residence for the required period of isolation. 

Can I return home whilst isolating, rather than remaining at my term-time address?

No, you should remain at your term-time address and isolate there along with other members of your ‘household’. Travelling to an alternative address risks the unnecessary spread of the virus. 

What precautions will be taken in student accommodation to ensure student safety?

It will be a condition of occupancy that anyone taking up a tenancy will be required to comply with any guidance and advice given in relation to Covid 19. The Health and Wellbeing of all our residents and staff is paramount, and procedures to minimise risk will be implemented and strictly monitored.

How often will communal areas be cleaned?

Where cleaning services are provided within flats this will be provided on a weekly basis, there will be a strong focus on cleaning high traffic areas such as doors, corridors etc.

Pre-Arrival FAQs

When will I be able to move into the accommodation?

Full details of times and dates of arrival are available on our Halls of residence arrival information & frequently asked questions page.

Can I bring my car?

This really depends as some of our residences have car parks whilst others don’t. Once your place is confirmed, please give your residence a call to check and to find out the specific arrangements for parking. Refer to our residence profiles to find out which residences have on-site parking.

Residence Life FAQs

How do I pay my accommodation fees?

On accepting an offer of accommodation, students pay a one-off prepayment of £600 by credit or debit card.

The remaining balance must be paid through your MyCampus account. You may pay in instalments via a UK bank account (Direct Debit) or by credit card (manual payment plan).

For information on payment of fees go to Manage Your Finances at:

Can I reapply to stay in residence for a subsequent year?

We do expect to be able to offer accommodation to a number of returning students and therefore if you wish to be considered for a place in UofG accommodation after your first year, please apply in the usual way. The number of places available for returners will depend on the numbers of first year students applying for a guaranteed place. Please refer to our Admissions policy for further details or contact the Accommodation Services team if you’d like to talk about this option in more detail.  

Can I extend my stay over the summer?

We’d be more than happy to allow you to stay a while longer providing we have availability. You can speak to Accommodation Services directly or drop us an email and we will arrange this for you.  


Where can I do my laundry?

All residences have washing and drying facilities open 24 hours a day, every day, making it easy for you to stay up-to-date on your laundry pile. We use a laundry system called Circuit Laundry across all of our residences, and you pay for each load with credit which you (or someone else) can top up online.